🤼‍♂ How Good of a Wrestler Were They Really? 🤼‍♀ #42 BAM BAM BIGELOW 🎆

Millionaire Ted scores a highly respectable 4 on the nose (splitting the Hart brothers which I’m not entirely sure about!)

Wrestler Rating
Chris Jericho (3) 4.69
Kurt Angle (2) 4.55
Mick Foley (10) 4.55
Daniel Bryan (5) 4.38
Macho Man Randy Savage (12) 4.37
Stone Cold Steve Austin (1) 4.36
Eddie Guerrero (8) 4.28
Ric Flair (11) 4.23
The Undertaker (7) 4.22
The Steiner Brothers (n/a) 4.22*
Shawn Michaels (6) 4.21
William Regal (18) 4.1
Bret Hart (9) 4.07
Ted DiBiase (68) 4
Owen Hart (21) 3.95
“Mr. Perfect” Curt Hennig (22) 3.91
CM Punk (16) 3.85
Jake “The Snake” Roberts (20) 3.81
The Road Warriors/Legion of Doom (106) 3.74
Diamond Dallas Page (41) 3.73
Booker T (48) 3.72
Charlotte Flair (34) 3.69
Vince McMahon (66) 3.55
Kane (19) 3.54
Brock Lesnar (30) 3.52
Triple H (13) 3.48
John Cena (17) 3.43
Rob Van Dam (47) 3.4
“Rowdy” Roddy Piper (37) 3.36
Becky Lynch (28) 3.2
Ron Simmons (114) 3.18
Big Van Vader (58) 3.17
Shane McMahon (59) 3.17
A.P.A (90) 3.15
Sting (52) 3.12
The Big Boss Man(36) 3.1
The British Bulldogs (n/a) 3.09
Scott Steiner (55) 3.08
Davey Boy Smith (96) 2.94
Dynamite Kid (83) 2.9
The Big Show (166) 2.76
Stephanie McMahon (n/a) 2.36
Hulk Hogan (61) 2.33
D-X (n/a) 2.33
Goldberg (51) 2.3
JBL (n/a) 1.56

And now, from the owner of The Million Dollar Corporation to his top henchman, it’s MR. WRESTLEMANIA (XI) MAIN EVENT, THE BEAST FROM THE EAST, THE FLAMED WONDER, THE CRUSHER, THE (SELF-PROCLAIMED) TAZ KILLER IT’S…

BAM…BAM!

So, How Good Was Bam Bam Bigelow really?

0 voters

Hello, I’ve made a concerted effort to edit this down to the truly biggest moments that people might actually care about, and will endeavour to keep it down to this sort of level going forward:

Also @TKC there’s some potential ECW spoilers in here

Favourite Match/Moment
  • Bam Bam Bigelow’s PPV Debut with Don Muraco, Hulk Hogan, Ken Patera & Paul Orndorff vs. Andre The Giant, Butch Reed, King Kong Bundy, One Man Gang & Rick Rude (“Survivor Series” Match, Survivor Series '87)
  • Bam Bam Bigelow vs. One Man Gang (WrestleMania IV)
  • Bam Bam Bigelow joins NWA and NJPW after just a year with the Fed, walking out after having a stiff match with Andre at MSG, earns a title shot vs. Barry Windham (NWA United States Title, StarrCade '88)
  • “Crusher” Bam Bam Bigelow challenges for Big Van Vader’s IGWP Heavyweight Title (NJPW Super Power Battle in Osaka, September '89)
  • Bam Bam Bigelow and Vader team up to for Big, Bag & Dangerous, beat DOOM at WCW/NJPW Supershow 1 (March '91) and go on to win the IGPW Tag Team Championships vs Hiroshi Hase & Keiji Muto (NJPW 20th anniversary show, March 1 '92)
  • Big, Bad & Dangerous hold the belts until June '92, losing to The Steiner Brothers, as they both head back to America a couple months later (Masters of Wrestling, June 26 '92)
  • Bam Bam Bigelow returns to WWF, defeating Big Boss Man in his return in decisive fashion (Royal Rumble '93)
  • Bam Bam Bigelow puts on a clinic with Bret Hart in the final of first-ever televised King of the Ring tournament (King of the Ring '93)
  • Bam Bam Bigelow has a busy night on Royal Rumble '94, losing to Tatanka but eliminating him and several others during the rumble match itself (his only appearance in a Royal Rumble match) AND helps Yokozuna destroy The Undertaker in the title match! (Royal Rumble '94)
  • Bam Bam Bigelow & his “main squeeze” Luna Vachon vs Doink and Dink :clown_face: (Wrestlemania X)
  • Bam Bam Bigelow vs Razor Ramon (King of the Ring '95)
  • Bam Bam Bigelow joins Ted DiBiase’s Million Dollar Corporation, culminating in a Tag Team Title Tournament loss with Tanaka vs “Little Bitch” 1-2-3 Kid & Bob “Spark Plug” Holly, which leads to… (Royal Rumble '95)
  • MAIN EVENT Bam Bam Bigelow at Wrestlemania XI vs former New York Giants All-Pro Linebacker Laurence Taylor after he laughed at Bam Bam for losing to Little Bitch at the Rumble!!! (Wrestlemania XI)
  • Bam Bam is promised a main event, babyface push for his troubles, but bar a tag match with then champion Diesel in the main event of the truly awful King of the Ring '95 vs Sycho Sig & Tatanka, he is gone by the end of the year, tired of The Kliq’s shit, putting a newly debuting Goldust on his way out (Survivor Series '95)
  • After a year and a bit off only doing a handful of indie shows, Bam Bam turns up at ECW to form The Triple Threat with Shane Douglas, Chris Candido & Francine, making his PPV debut vs Little Spike Dudley at Hardcore Heaven '97 featuring the famous shot of him being thrown from the ring into the crowd!
  • Bam Bam wins the ECW title from Shane Douglas, ending the faction, only to lose it back to him at November to Remember '97!
  • Bam Bam then feuds with Taz throughout '98, winning the TV title off him at Living Dangerously, breaking the ring in the process…
  • Followed by a return match, this time for Taz’s FTW Title, where they upped the anti and this time broke the ring entrance ramp! (Heat Wave '98)
  • Bam Bam leaves for WCW after receiving “bounced checks” from Heyman petering out the rest of his career with a nice paycheck, initially losing feuds with Goldberg and Rey Mysterio but establishing WCW’s Hardcore Division with Raven and Hak f.k.a The Sandman beating him at Spring Stampede '99
  • Bigelow, DDP & (who better than) Kanyon form The Jersey Triad, winning the WCW Tag Titles from Raven and Perry Saturn of The Flock (Nitro, May 31 '99)
  • The Jersey Triad defended the titles against Saturn & Benoit at Bash at the Beach '99, before losing them to the newly reformed Harlem Heat at Road Wild '99
  • Bam Bam’s last meaningful title reign or arc comes in the new year defeating Brian Knobbs for the WCW Hardcore Title on Nitro, only to drop it back to him at Superbrawl 2000

0 voters

1 Like

And finally, I’m undecided whether I have the time and energy go past the 50 mark, I’ll see when I get there, so rather than the traditional poll I’d also like suggestions from everyone on who you’d like to see. In my opinion the biggest names still to be covered are: The Rock (obviously), AJ Styles, Edge (& Christian), Kenny Omega (too recent?), Goldust/The Rhodes Family, Okada (aware New Japan might be a bit too niche?), Jeff (& Matt) Hardy, The Dudleys, Rey Mysterio, Razor & Diesel, Samoa Joe, Rick Rude, Ricky Steamboat, Ultimate Warrior, Orton, Batista & Lex Luger!

I think meaning I have talked myself back into going at least a little bit longer BUT who would YOU most like to see?

I like Bammer, but for some reason I don’t actually know much of his wrestling. I only kind of know him from WWF days, but from looking at the list, his best days were outside of there. Any recommendations of what I should watch to see what he was like?

I’m gonna hold off on judging him, cos I don’t think my knowledge is good enough for it.

As for whose next, I’d really like to go over Ultimate Warrior, Lex and probably Goldust. Go as long as you like, it must be an awful lot of work just to put these all together and I’m not sure if I’d have the staying power to do as many as you have.

1 Like

His ECW matches with Taz and his NJPW stuff with Vader I’d say

I know him best from his original run in the WWF. He was really good back then - so nimble for such a big guy. Shame it went wrong for him. Saw a bit of him when he came back, but he wasn’t quite as effective and that Bam! Bam! theme was awful.

For who would we like to do next?

Adrian Adonis
Greg Valentine (and do Brutus alongside)
Demolition
Nikolai Volkoff (and the Iron Shiek)
Sergeant Slaughter

1 Like

Aw I quite like his theme :sweat_smile:

1 Like

It was just a guy shouting Bam! :smiley: :smiley:

2 Likes

That’s why it’s good!

1 Like

no love for Bam Bam? :frowning:

Bam Bam was an amazing big man wrestler. Definitely one of my favourites in that era. His work with Vader is great, as is a lot of his ECW stuff. The fact he dragged Lawrence Taylor to as passable a match as he did probably says a lot for him too.

He definitely had his problems outside the ring: arrests, drug issues, didn’t pay his child support, there was that major bike accident too so he wasn’t a great bloke but then there was that time he saved three kids from a burning building and got such extensive burns he was in hospital for 2 months, so maybe he was.

Wrestling fucked his body, think by the time he died he was on disability support and in constant pain with heart issues and diabetes too.

1 Like

Realised I hadn’t given my two cents…

Weird career, flashes of brilliance but was often underbooked and underutilised, the fact the only way he could main event Mania was by being a safe pair of hands for a celebrity p.r stunt is simultaneously great and awful. A 3.

I’m fairly sure I know who I’m doing this week, but hey polls are fun and it serves as a little bump for this very quiet thread

WHO’S NEXT
  • Andre The Giant
  • Barry Windham
  • Tatanka
  • Yokozuna
  • Doink the Clown
  • Razor Ramon
  • 1-2-3 Kid
  • Diesel
  • Goldust
  • Psycho Sid
  • The Dudley Boyz
  • Tazz
  • Rey Mysterio
  • Raven
  • The Nasty Boyz

0 voters

alright, calling time on this sad little thread shortly while I build the next one

Poor Bammer :cry:

Bam Bam scores a disappointing but probably fair enough 2.8!

And now…