🤼‍♂ How Good of a Wrestler Were They Really? 🤼‍♀ #43 EDGE & CHRISTIAN! 🩸

So Bam Bam Bigelow scores a fairly average 2.8 in a very quiet thread :frowning:

Wrestler Rating
Chris Jericho (3) 4.69
Kurt Angle (2) 4.55
Mick Foley (10) 4.55
Daniel Bryan (5) 4.38
Macho Man Randy Savage (12) 4.37
Stone Cold Steve Austin (1) 4.36
Eddie Guerrero (8) 4.28
Ric Flair (11) 4.23
The Undertaker (7) 4.22
The Steiner Brothers (n/a) 4.22*
Shawn Michaels (6) 4.21
William Regal (18) 4.1
Bret Hart (9) 4.07
Ted DiBiase (68) 4
Owen Hart (21) 3.95
“Mr. Perfect” Curt Hennig (22) 3.91
CM Punk (16) 3.85
Jake “The Snake” Roberts (20) 3.81
The Road Warriors/Legion of Doom (106) 3.74
Diamond Dallas Page (41) 3.73
Booker T (48) 3.72
Charlotte Flair (34) 3.69
Vince McMahon (66) 3.55
Kane (19) 3.54
Brock Lesnar (30) 3.52
Triple H (13) 3.48
John Cena (17) 3.43
Rob Van Dam (47) 3.4
“Rowdy” Roddy Piper (37) 3.36
Becky Lynch (28) 3.2
Ron Simmons (114) 3.18
Big Van Vader (58) 3.17
Shane McMahon (59) 3.17
A.P.A (90) 3.15
Sting (52) 3.12
The Big Boss Man(36) 3.1
The British Bulldogs (n/a) 3.09
Scott Steiner (55) 3.08
Davey Boy Smith (96) 2.94
Dynamite Kid (83) 2.9
Bam Bam Bigelow (54) 2.8
The Big Show (166) 2.76
Stephanie McMahon (n/a) 2.36
Hulk Hogan (61) 2.33
D-X (n/a) 2.33
Goldberg (51) 2.3
JBL (n/a) 1.56

And now, as they reformed this week and hopefully to get the chat going again… FOR THE BENEFIT OF THOSE WITH FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY, THE TEAM THAT TOTALLY REEKS OF AWESOMENESS, THE FORMER MEMBERS OF THE BROOD & THE MINISTRY OF DARKNESS, THE TLC MASTERS, THE EC IN TEAM “RECK”, THE SEVEN-TIMES TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS, HERE, FOR YOU DIS, A FIVE-SECOND POSE BECAUSE IT’S…

EDGE & CHRISTIAN!

So, How Good Were (the tag team) Edge & Christian really?

0 voters

reminder, this vote is STRICTLY FOR THE TAG TEAM EDGE & CHRISTIAN ONLY:

Favouite E&C Match & Moment
  • After initially feuding Edge & Christian form The Brood with Gangrel at the end of '98 and defeat the J.O.B Squad Al Snow, Bob Holly & Scorpio (In Your House: Rock Bottom, Dec '98)
  • The Brood briefly join The Ministry of Darkness, assist The Undertaker in hanging Big Boss Man at Wrestlemania XV, only to be cast out for almost giving away to Ken Shamrock where captive Stephanie McMahon is, creating a two month feud with the Acolytes! 1999 Baby, woo! (Backlash & UK No Mercy '99)
  • Gangrel turns on Edge and asks Christian to do the same, he refuses, turning them face and beginning the feud with The New Bood, a.k.a The Hardy Boyz, during the Terri Invitational Tournament (fuck’s sake Russo) at Summerslam '99
  • The initial feud culimates at US No Mercy as Edge and Christian face The Hardy Boyz in a Tag Team Ladder match for Terri’s services. Both teams would receive a standing ovation after the match and the following night on RAW. (US No Mercy '99)
  • After a respectful truce going into the year 2000, The Dudley Boyz are thrown into the mix, creating the first of a trio of Tag Team Title Ladder (later TLC) matches, earning E&C their first Tag Title win! (Wrestlemania 2000)
  • The “reeking of awesomeness” era begins, as E&C hold the titles for the majority of the summer (bar a brief blip caused by Too Cool) as well as teaming with Kurt Angle, including Kazoos! (Judgement Day 2000)
  • Culminating at the TABLES, LADDERS AND CHAIRS (OH MY!) match between them, the Hardyz & Dudleyz (Summerslam 2000)
  • E&C’s reign finally ends at Unforgiven and they lose the right to challenge for the title again so in response a mysterious team known as “Los Conquistadores” dressed in full gold bodysuits and apparently coming from Mexico appear to challenge The Hardyz, successfully winning the titles at No Mercy 2000, only for the mysterious team to challenge E&C to a match the next night on RAW, and beat them, revealing themselves to be The Hardyz all along.
  • Rhyno joins WWF to complete “Team RECK” with E&C and Kurt, however, that can’t save them dropping the titles to The Dudleyz at Royal Rumble 2001.
  • After hot potato-ing the title around between the three teams, E&C, The Hardyz & Dudleyz feud would cultimate at TLC: II, with each team having Rhyno, Lita & Spike respectively in their corners, upping the ante on an already incredible series of matches, with E&C completing the clean sweep of the trio! (Wrestlemania X-7)
  • E&C drop the titles to the Brothers of Destruction shortly after (so they can drop them to the Two Man Power Trip) and are unsuccessful in their final PPV tag match (for now) losing to Chris Jericho & Benoit at the end of the a very good Tag Team Turmoil match (Judgement Day '01)
  • E&C finally lose a TLC match with TLC: IV, with champions Benoit & Jericho retaining against them, Hardyz & Dudleyz, effectively ending the team and feud with the InVasion imminent (Smackdown, May 22nd 2001)
  • After a brief feud during the InVasion angle, and barring a couple of one-off reunion matches, E&C wouldn’t interact again until 2009 upon Christian’s return from TNA, reforming in 2010 (now referred to as childhood best friends rather than brothers), with Christian being in Edge’s corner for his final World Championship win (for now) vs Alberto Del Rio (Wrestlemania XXVII)
  • Edge is forced to retire two weeks later and vacate the title, returning the favour to his best friend Christian by helping him defeat Alberto Del Rio for the vacant World Heavyweight Title in a Ladder Match at Extreme Rules, in a truly heartwarming send-off (for 9 years!) for Edge and the team (Extreme Rules 2011)
  • E&C are in-ring reunited at Royal Rumble 2021, providing a genuinely emotional moment in the middle of a great match!

0 voters

I’m not entirely sure if Rhyno gets his own thread (probably not) but for now as a bonus vote:

How good was Gangrel/The Brood really?

0 voters

1 Like

they’re a 5 from me, obviously, as I was pretty much the only kid at my school who was an E&C guy as opposed to the Hardyz and Dudleyz. Always thought they were the most entertaining and charismatic while also being brilliant chicken-shit heels, finding out that both (Edge especially) had really good careers during my lapsed fandom was a great surprise, given they were me favs at the time, though those thoughts are for another thread (if we get there). The Brood were a bit silly and shite but get the entrance alone and the visual of the red viscous liquid was pretty cool as a burgeoning wrestling fan earns them/Gangrel a 3.

1 Like

Chris Van Vliet had a great interview with Gangrel and it’s worth a listen. Just interesting hearing him speak about the white shirt and blood and how an Indie has to provide the shirt for him to do it Gangrel set himself on fire during The Brood entrance, Edge & Christian, Luna Vachon, The Hardyz - YouTube

Was just talking these guys the other day, “for the benefit of those with flash photography”!

Loved them, great characters, very fun and charismatic.

4 Likes

Guess I’ll probably wrap this series up soon then, just make an occasional poll in the main thread

1 Like

Those TLC matches were one of those industry-changing things that spawned a thousand mudshow indie matches and an entire style really. That said far crisper and traditional in the Midnight Express mould than the people who came after them, some really nice 80’s style shitheeling mixed in with the athletic workratey cruiserweight stuff Jericho and Guerrero, Rey etc had made popular. It’s been well documented now that they had favourable writing because they were pals with Brian Gwertz or however you spell it, but they really did deliver the late 90’s dorky surfery douche characters super well. It was always clear they’d both be really stellar single’s guys but for my money before injuries and time changed their styles the E&C heyday was as good as either got. 5.

5 Likes

:sob::sob:

5 Likes

would give them both a 5 individually but gonna be sacrilegious and give them 4 together :open_mouth: they were the best characters / promos of the big 3 teams of that era, but my least favourite in the ring (as a team). not enough cool double team moves imo

2 Likes

I was definitely a Dudley’s guy, although looking back their characters were definitely umm of the time. Did anyone ever kick out of the 3D in any promotion?

I think Chris Sabin did in TNA for the “last” Team 3D match

3 Likes

Kind of gutted to hear that, always thought it was one of the best/most protected finishes of all time.

4 Likes

I dunno if it’s because I missed that era and have only seen them as an adult, but those characters really grate on me. Went for a 4 because they’re incredibly important, but their characters remind me of everything I dislike about Matt Riddle as opposed to everything I liked about Zack Ryder.

1 Like

remember thinking this was the coolest thing in the world when i was a little kid.

that they were also hilarious post-brood and had some of the greatest matches of all time is also awesome. those TLCs are still incredible. plus the partnership w kurt angle. great times to be a fan.

edit: oh ffs it didn’t load this video further upthread, sorry

4 Likes

There’s never enough brood intro, it’s the best of all time

5 Likes

That tag team era was fucking brilliant like wasn’t it.
Loads of high flying spectacular stuff full of “Holy shit!” moments.
Gangrel was a bit like meatloaf I thought. The Brood thing was a bit silly but not as silly as WCW having a guy called Vampiro who was neither a vampire, nor a Pyromaniac.
I remember when they really pushed the fact that Edge was going to be in the new Highlander movie… Shit movie no fans and Edge was in it for all of 2.minutes.
The spear was quite a popular move at the time but what I liked was how dangerous a finisher it was as it wasn’t very scenario specific and could happen any time.
As with all wrestling I lost track of them in the early 2000s but hope they are both doing well and no scandals.
As a tag team I’d say 4 or 5. Would rate Christian a bit lower than Edge but both good.

4 Likes

You’ll have the chance to rate both individually soon!

1 Like

Cool.
I remember there was a vampire show on Nickelodeon in the 90s and the plot line of the good guy being made into a vampire and his family trying to get him back. When a the Brood showed up I was fuming, they had basically stolen the plot of a Nickelodeon show. Gangrel looked a bit like one of the characters iirc.
What a weird time the late 90s and early 2000s were.
They time it pretty well with the millennium era popularity of goth though didn’t they.

1 Like