📺 How Good Was it Really?: Cheers & Frasier

Whaaa?!!! :open_mouth:

Just read he was born in Blackpool and brought up in Manchester?! Mad.

1 Like

I only saw Cheers properly for the first time a few years ago and it was very good, though the Shelley Long era is definitely better than the Kirsty Alley one (Rebecca starts out as a smart savvy businesswoman and within a few seasons is constantly crying because the guy she likes hasn’t noticed her). Great cast of supporting characters too, with Norm’s wife Vera setting the template for Maris in terms of never seeing her (at least not her face, she gets custard pied in one episode).

Kelsey Grammar is a dickhead, but what a fucked up life he’s lead.

His dad was murdered (by a man called Niles)
He was homeless in New York for months
His younger sister was raped and murdered
Got expelled from Juliard and ended up an alcoholic
His half-brothers were killed in a scuba diving accident
His close friend and producer of Frasier, David Angell, was on one of the planes that hit the Twin Towers

Plus divorces, a coke addiction, and more. Pretty wild.

5 Likes

Overrated af, 3/5

1 Like

Frasier is one of the most overrated TV shows of all time.

3 Likes

Frasier is very good, gentle wry humour
Cheers is a boring gaze into the void and ted thingy has a cliff face instead of a head

frasier was perfect morning viewing on C4 for when i was getting ready for college and then my first job. helped take the edge off the day.

1 Like

Looking at this thread so far and the current ratings for previous comedies, people really seem to give US comedy a raw deal here. Cheers and Frasier at their best are both miles better than nearly anything the UK has to offer

5 Likes

Nope.

1 Like

I think I summed up my Frasier take in the Friends thread:

What should you do with tossed salad and scrambled eggs? Anyone know?

• Bin them
  • Eat them

0 voters

You lumped it in with the likes of The Big Bang Theory which is a real galaxy brain-level take

1 Like

You reckon Frasier is better than all UK comedy and I’m the one with galaxy brain? Oh really Niles!

nah, theres something brilliantly camp and knowing about frasier, where the characters being pretentious arses is usually the punchline, whereas friends and bbt are almost the polar opposite

3 Likes

BTT and Frasier are fundamentally the same programme with renamed characters and a different setting.

Cheers is fucking brilliant

1 Like

Eddie

who is the dog in bing bong theory please

4 Likes

In my mind cheers is better than frasier but whom knows if that’s true.

The only honest rating from me has to be 2/5 as I mildly dislike both

4 Likes