šŸ“ŗ How Good Was it Really?: Fawlty Towers šŸ“ŗ

One of the best elements of this show which makes it so funny is the geography of the hotel itself. The way that Basil would need to transition from raging to polite room-to-room and the increasing undoing of that transition is so fucking funny and itā€™s a direct result of the proximity of the reception to the dining room or the office to the reception etc.

10 Likes

And of course the original sitcom stairs:

5 Likes

I think about this thread quite a lot

2 Likes

DONā€™T MENTION THE WARDORF SALAD

Great show

This. I really, really, really cannot watch that kind of comedy where the humour comes from someone elseā€™s stupidity or embarassment.

So, itā€™s 4/5 for quality of writing and execution but 1/5 for how much Iā€™d enjoy watching an episode now.

3 Likes

I think the great thing about Fawlty Towers is that it strikes the balance of Basilā€™s plight being, in part his own fault, but also, completely the result of circumstances conspiring against him in just a pure comedic bad luck way. I guess that doesnā€™t necessarily make it any less stressful but I think itā€™s reductive to just say itā€™s a stupid protagonist trope.

4 Likes

No, but itā€™s entirely about his embarassment in those situations and thatā€™s what makes my skin crawl.

2 Likes

Yeah I guess so.

Fawlty Towers is the greatest sitcom ever and utterly relevant again today as, once again, the misperception of Britainā€™s status in the wider world is causing daily heartache.

1 Like

And on top of that, heā€™s desperately trying to run a business which is only just scraping by. The people who work for him are tragically helpless in their situation compared to the customers, which for them, staying at the hotel is just a temporary jolly without any lasting consequence. I think that level of sheer frantic desperation makes it quite difficult for me to watch.

2 Likes
1 Like

Christ

1 Like

If I picture Fawlty Towers, I immediately think of Basil dashing into reception, snapping a couple of panicked looks around, then charging into another room. The lay-out of the hotel and Cleeseā€™s physicality gives it an energy which is usually lacking in that generation of sitcom.

10 Likes

Literally episode is a classic with so many menorable momnts. So many that i still often forget how few episodes there are

1 Like

The branch/Mini scene has to be up there for best individual comedy scenes of all time

5 Likes

Sybil: ā€œIf I find out that money from that horse was yours Basil, youā€™ll know what Iā€™ll doā€¦ā€
Basil: ā€œYouā€™ll have to sew them back on first.ā€

Didnā€™t really get this when I was younger. :smiley:

6 Likes

Yup, itā€™s the perfect claustrophobic backdrop to the sense of things spiralling out of control in a very signposted, structured way as well.

had so many quotes running round my head tonight. wonā€™t be funny written down in the same way, say, 2 words from the simpsons are, but absolutely some of the best comedy writing and delivery ever.

current favourite:
Sybil: ā€œAnd turn that racket offā€
Basil: ā€œRacket?! Thatā€™s Brahms! Brahms 3rd Racket!ā€

makes me crack up every time i think about it.

9 Likes

ā€œHave you put the picture up?ā€

Sybil is such a great character. Sheā€™s almost playing it straight against Basil being so OTT, but then she barks ā€œBASIL!!ā€ and follows it up with a totally calm reasonable request and it gets me every time.

6 Likes