📺 How Good Was it Really?: Gerry Anderson (Thunderbirds, Stingray etc) 📺

Good morning and welcome to another exciting episode of HGWIR. Monty Python’s Flying Circus scored a 3.22. That’s nice isn’t it.

Today we turn our attention to the ‘Misc’ category. The league table:

Rank Show Rating
1 Wallace and Gromit: The Wrong Trousers 4.75
2 Wallace and Gromit: A Close Shave 4.41
3 Wallace and Gromit: A Grand Day Out 4.25
4 Wallace and Gromit: A Matter of Loaf and Death 3.56
5 Spongebob Squarepants 3.46
6 The Big Breakfast 2.66
R Big Brother 1.97
R Celebrity Big Brother 1.82
R Big Brother Celebrity Hijack 1.21

Today we will discuss the works of Gerry Anderson.

This is Gerry.

Seems like a nice chap.

Or not.

But how do we rate his shows?

Let’s find out.

THUNDERBIRDS

0 voters

CAPTAIN SCARLET

0 voters

STINGRAY

0 voters

JOE 90

0 voters

Personally, I hate all of them

4 Likes

The used to put a French dub of stingray on in primary school when they’d not know what else to do with us.

1 Like

Dunno, I’m not in my 50s

8 Likes

I haven’t watched any of them since I was a kid, but:

Terrahawks>Captain Scarlet>Fireball XL5>Thunderbirds.

The theme tunes were universally great.

Massive, massive, ENORMOUS part of my childhood. Fucking loved them.

My favourite was probably Captain Scarlett closely followed by Thunderbirds with Stingray slightly behind them (probably, looking back on it, the marine creatures in it are part of why I now fear aquatic life).

As an adult I can find enormous enjoyment from that 60’s vision of the future kind of aesthetic but I think they probably stand up as well structured and executed pieces of kid’s telly as well tbf.

3 Likes

TB - 4
CS - 4
S - 3
J90 - 3

I only remember one particular episode of Captain Scarlet. From memory, most of it was a dream Captain Scarlet was having, and I think the commander guy told him to get a haircut at one point. Great stuff.

(now that I’ve typed it out, it may have been a dream I had)

5 Likes

@AQOS explained at the beginning of the last one. They’ve been split into genres, with a misc category

Extraordinarily well made aren’t they

2 Likes

Mondays- comedies, Wednesdays- other shit, Fridays- dramas. I’ve split the tables up. This is how it is now.

Yes.

No?

fucking brilliant. got thunderbirds on dvd somewhere waiting for the perfect hangover. in hindsight i should have exercised my birthday rights the other day to watch them. never saw anything other than the holy trinity of thunderbirds/stingray/captain scarlet but i used to be obsessed, had the comics and everything. was fascinated by the marionettes, the fact that by captain scarlet they had refined them so much that the mechanism for the mouths had been moved from inside the head to inside the chest to give them better proportions, really lent itself to the surprisingly dark tone that captain scarlet had. seriously, after thunderbirds’ saving the world week in week out and stingray’s fighting sea monsters and that, captain scarlet being based around a war with an invisible alien race that was triggered when humans destroyed their home city and a gimmick that meant there was a really good chance of the main character dying every week is pretty incredible for a kids tv puppet show. really stunning stuff

8 Likes

Thunderbirds gets a straight 5 for the theme tune and the opening credits that showed glimpses of the mad shit coming in that episode.

But I’m old enough to have been the right age when it first came out. Had the toys. Had the costume.

If we’re doing Gerry Anderson then stuff like UFO and Space 1999 should be included.

I watched them a lot as a kid when they were all re-shown in the early 90s, and got into Thunderbirds (believe the toothbrush holder at my parent’s house is still a plastic Thunderbirds mug…), was even lucky enough to get the Tracy Island toy that inspired the Blue Peter make.

But looking back… they were very of their time, quite slow moving and not super engaging. Stingray in particular was a fucking drag. Can’t give more than a three, though I admire the artistry of it all.

The only one I know is Fireball XL-5. I really enjoyed it as a kid.