📺 How Good was it Really?: Gilmore Girls 📺

A very solid result for Friday Night Lights. TEXAS FOREVER!

Show Rating
I’m Alan Partridge 4.79
The Wire 4.75
Seinfeld 4.09
The Office UK 4.07
Breaking Bad 4.01
Friday Night Lights 3.89
Fawlty Towers 3.89
Knowing Me, Knowing You 3.84
Mid Morning Matters 3.8
The League of Gentlemen 3.64
The Office US 3.48
The X-Files 3.19
Malcolm in the Middles 3.18
Psychoville 3.01
Mr. Bean 2.94
Only Fools and Horses 2.94
Lost 2.39
Goodnight Sweetheart 2.11

Today: Gilmore Girls

0 voters

I’ve never watched an episode of Gilmore Girls

11 Likes

I’ve only seen a handful of episodes so I won’t vote, but what I did see was not my thing. Something really wound me up about the daughter. Big fan of Lauren Graham though.

Ooft. I have opinions here. Can you do another poll for A Year In The Life please Jook?

1 Like

No opinion as not seen it.

But, how about The Sopranos eh? That was damn good telly.

7 Likes

Giving it a four because I have immense fondness for it. I marathoned it when I was back at home after leaving university and it was perfect that period of my life, all about growing up and figuring out what you want to do.

Scripts are incredible (obviously totally stylised and very Marmite, but I’ll take good style any day), great performances from all the leads, tonnes of memorable supporting characters, great music and cameos.

Ultimately I think it went on too long, and the plots were stretched uncomfortably to fit, and the seventh season was a let down - though still a better finish that the awful Netflix revival.

Best character is Emily and I ship Rory and Logan.

2 Likes

YES! Finally one I’ve seen all the way through. I have a lot of opinions about this show that will take a while to dredge up. First one, I can’t remember having loved a show so much whilst simultaneously hating/disliking all the characters. I can’t think of anyone I actually properly liked.

4 Likes

I saw that edit!

watched and enjoyed the first 2 seasons
will probably finish it at some point
paris is the best character

• Dean
  • Jess
  • Logan

0 voters

Haven’t seen it so will vote 1

:wink:

1 Like

Are we including the Netflix continuation of this, or just the original run?

I instinctively gave it a five because I really do love it but after writing that out and realising I do see the flaws I thought a four was more fair. Though I might change it back because I want to balance out the inevitable haterz.

1 Like

These threads remind me I don’t really watch much TV, quite reassuring tbh.

Haven’t seen it. Looks like I’d either love it or hate it.

I’ve seen 3 episodes, not in order, of various series and they didn’t really grab me. Enjoy your thread, gilmore girls informed opinion havers

I’ve not seen a lot of GG, mainly bits and pieces from the gf binge watching the whole thing recently. But the bits I saw convinced me to join in on her next rewatch. Dunno who wrote it but it has that almost Sorkin-esque thing where the rhythm of the dialogue is so soothing that even when no one is saying much it’s still weirdly compelling. I can see how it would become a great bit of comfort TV for people.

1 Like

It’s a good show, sometimes it’s a really good show. Both protagonists are quite bad though (Rory way moreso than Lorelai).

The supporting cast are incredible, Kelly Bishop as Emily is one of the most acerbically brilliant performances in TV. She’s fucking hilarious.

The townsfolk are perfect for good B-Plot storylines which are usually good and funny and serve the great purpose of providing backdrops for the more boring main plot machinations and relationships.

Dean: Boring but I feel sorry for him

Jess: Absolutely hilariously lame. I still cannot get over the fact that he is doing like fucking card tricks and smoking whilst wearing a leather jacket in his first few scenes and that he’s meant to be an alluring presence.

Logan: The absolute fucking pits but, given that Rory is also the absolute fucking pits, they should be together.

1 Like

Also haven’t watched it properly but via osmosis seen quite a bit because the missus likes it. I’ll ask her to contribute a vote later on.

FWIW, I have seen the whole thing about three times in total and two of those runs have been in the last 18 months.

1 Like