12 Likes

Best girl

• Hannah
  • Marnie
  • Shosh
  • Jemima

0 voters

Gave Adam Driver his big break - 5/5

(the show’s very up and down but at its best was very good)

1 Like

Adam Driver

0 voters

Was good at times but I got sick of everyone being horrible so I ditched it three seasons in. ?/5

5 Likes

I really liked it. 4/5

Gone for a 3 but might have to downgrade to a 2. Started strongly and was at it’s best when it was actually a comedy, but became actively detestable by the end. Lena Dunham’s antics since it’s finished haven’t helped how I look back on it either.

Can’t think of another show based in reality where the vast majority of main characters are so unpleasant and have no redeeming features. Became horrible spending half an hour with them every week.

Oh boy.

Shows about terrible people are good when they are funny.

Shows about terrible people which aren’t funny shows are very bad.

6 Likes

Ugh, horrible horrible people and Lena Dunham is awful irl, 1/5

2 Likes

Mostly the same, I enjoyed the first two series I think but after that, nah, too mean-spirited and everyone was a prick

The finale was rubbish too

Bang on.

That’s definitely a thing with my TV watching in general. If I’m going to spend x amount of hours with these people I’d like to enjoy my time with them, not think they’re insufferable pricks (not limited to ‘Girls’ by the way, I hated ‘The Sopranos’ for the same reason.)

I think I only saw the first series. not sure why a show that’s about regular stuff has to make everything seem edgy and everyone in it mean.

1 Like

wonder if it is that, or if not having any likeable characters means when it isn’t funny you notice it more? every character in peep show is a prick and a didn’t hate that. was that because it was always funny enough that i didn’t care? maybe it was just that the peep show characters weren’t real enough to actually hate them whereas the girls’ ones were?

just using peep show as the first example i thought of, i’m sure there’s other esp modern shows where you don’t like anyone on it (and aren’t supposed to)

idk

2 Likes

Started out so well but completely lost the plot for the last series. And even before that some of it was so over the top.

Adam Driver is so weirdly hot.

Liked seeing a chubby girl wearing whatever the fuck she wanted, which I had not seen before when this show started.

Lena Dunham is quite a bit of a dick though, isn’t she?
Calls herself a feminist and then lies to discredit a survivor of SA. That weird racist tweet about the guy at the awards show - can’t remember the exact details. Just generally being peak white feminist.

3.5 maybe? When it was good it was really entertaining.
Hmmm.

7 Likes

Yeah, this is why I’ve never watched them. Find “oh but you’re not SUPPOSED to like them, that’s the POINT” stuff really trying.

It’s my favourite in terms of actual funny comedies though. Seinfeld, Arrested etc are all about the humour of laughing at selfish, narcissistic people. The moment they require some sort of empathy for them they fall down (see Friends and Girls)

2 Likes

maybe in relation to girls it’d be cause Lena Durham comes from a weirdly privileged place. but who knows.

I think this is important. As fucked up as Dunham’s politics have been, that’s one tick for her legacy. Seeing her rock up in a fishnet bodystocking and nothing else
 fair fucks, that was a completely new thing to see on TV at the time.

5 Likes