📺 How Good Was it Really?: Kids Sci-Fi (Demon Headmaster, Animorphs, Alex Mack etc.) 📺

WOOF

(good shout shucks)

0 voters

Barely remember any of these except for Alex Mack.

Used to like Eerie Indiana.

6 Likes

Fucking hated Bernard. Power beyond mortal comprehension and he would just use it to get extra time to do his homework. Prick.

6 Likes

The children manage to escape and run ahead. Gomez and Gaspard give chase, and they all end up in the cryochamber where the suspended Olmecs are kept. Menator makes another holographic appearance, explaining the the plight of his people: Long ago a terrible war broke out, most of the world’s population wiped out. The Olmecs took refuge in the mountain, the Earth poisoned by the war. Over generations, their bodies changed. No longer able to bear children, they seek immortality through their cell-transplant experiments.
https://www.absoluteanime.com/cities_of_gold/episodes#ep35

Rewatched this a few years ago with my son, and I think it’s the best kid’s TV series I’ve seen. It starts off as a historical/fantasy epic, then in the last third becomes a sci-fi parable.

Was a big fan of Beetleborgs:

Such a weird concept, that house full of werewolves and vampires, and this lad who lives in an organ:

Who gave the kids powers to basically become Power Rangers. My Beetleborg toy was basically my most treasured possession:

2 Likes

Do you think he ages while he exists in stopped time? Would be a really dark adult version of the series where he has grown older than all his friends because he’s lived so much of his life while everyone was static.

3 Likes

I remember most of these by name but my memories are too clogged up to be the authority. But stuff like Round the Twist was bloody brilliant, an uncynical freewheeling imagination that shares a lot of spirit with sci-fi comedy I’ve loved as an adult like Rick + Morty.

Dark Season and Demon Headmaster were nailbitingly tense childhood gold too. Anyone remember the Demon Headmaster Returns (book, never saw it if it was televised?) I tell people even my age about Hunky Parker, the demon pig of subliminal advertising, and they look at me like I’m insane.

2 Likes

We’ll do Round the Twist another time btw

Loved the the Demon Headmaster books. I think they did do a series of Returns? But I was too old by that point

Not much catering for the older end of DiS here. How about Jossies Giants, Stig of the Dump, or this, which featured in many a childhood nightmare of mine.

This also scared the shit out of me as a kid

1 Like

Went to the lighthouse from Round the Twist at the weekend.

The woman who does the tours is into 70s punk and plays in a band with her husband.

13 Likes

Fucking yes!!!

1 Like

Anyone want to get misty-eyed about Archer’s Goon? Any programme with Roger Lloyd Pack and Annette Badland in is an instant winner, and that’s even before you throw this terrifying goon into the mix
goon

1 Like

Went to the one in Byron Bay thinking it was that. Was heartbroken when I realised it was 500 miles away.

Had a phobia of this show.

very cool

1 Like

Slight non-sequitur on 90s kids TV presenters but my Scarborough mate (see “pterodactyl kebab”) post, on that same night, incongruously walked me to the Conservative Club. At the entrance he asked the “security” (who FWIW looked like Tory Boy from Harry Enfield and Chums) if “Andi Peters” was in. When told “no” he shouted “RAAAAACIST!” and immediately legged it :person_shrugging:

3 Likes

DO A KNIGHTMARE POLL JOKE YOU COWARD I DARE YOU

1 Like