šŸ“ŗ How Good Was it Really?: Lost (aka The Rolling Lost Thread) šŸ“ŗ

CLOSE THE POLL

6 episodes in to the rewatch now. Terry Oā€™Quinn is brilliant isnā€™t he.

2 Likes

Fucking livid I missed my chance vote this shit show a 1.

Flashbacks are one of the worst forms of storytelling. Combining them with whatā€™s in the box? Fuck the fuck off.

4 Likes

What about dream sequences?

Oh Holy shit. Yeah fuck them too. Itā€™s basically why I could never pick Sopranos over The Wire. Iā€™ll take every duff edge of S5 of The Wire over the fact they had dream shit in Sopranos

2 Likes

Ah thatā€™s one of the only acceptable dream sequences Theo! The end of that episode with Moby playing was just gorgeous

(Fuck Gandolfini was so good :cry: )

2 Likes

Ah bugger. Still, even though another 1 vote wouldā€™ve been good, it still got the kicking it deserved.

1 Like

Most of the time yes, but thereā€™s a comic writer I love who uses them SPECTACULARLY, so I canā€™t completely write them off.

Always caveats obviously

1 Like

I refuse to believe thereā€™s 130 people using this site. Smells like a fix to me.

2 Likes

hey lurkers why donā€™t you post

Word of warning, donā€™t engage with The Others.

2 Likes

Like that poll when all the Manics fans turned up to vote for them.

Reckon someone (probably Theo) posted this on www.wehateLostandalsofun.com and look where are now

2 Likes

I think your memory is playing tricks on you. For one thing the Sopranos ran for three years alongside Lost and for another, the ā€˜prestige successorā€™ is definitely Mad Men.

Lost definitely benefited from TV becoming bigger but I think it was only bigger because it was also a major network show. Including Dominic Monaghan in the cast helped a lot and it may have been first big show to pull in film talent - I note Glenn Close joined The Shield in 2005. (I feel like this move from film to TV is really what created that thing of TV being taken far more seriously.)

I guess Lost might be the last massive Network TV show, though?

Nah, heā€™s right, mainly for the reasons you state.

Lost was the first major network show to acknowledge the leap forward that the Sopranos had made, in terms of how the network wanted it to be discussed by critics, how they funded it, how they made it, and how they marketed it.

1 Like

I donā€™t recall anyone seeing it as a prestige successor to the Sopranos, though. Thatā€™s different to TV networks responding to the Sopranos, but the TV audience didnā€™t think of it in that way and they are who shapes how TV is seen that way.

2 Likes

You didnā€™t think of it in that way, maybe.

No one was saying, ā€œItā€™s the next Sopranos,ā€ when it arrived.

1 Like

i may have mandela effected myself.

1 Like

I only watch TV at one point in the day, which is during dinner (blah blah, very busy with my charity work which means so much to me etc). Think Iā€™ve just got the go-ahead to make dinner time LOST TIME. Yes!

2 Likes