šŸ“ŗ How Good Was it Really?: Lost (aka The Rolling Lost Thread) šŸ“ŗ

Oh shiiiiit

9 Likes

Lost was shite. Bailed after season one. A mate stuck with it till the end despite how angry it made him. Regularly would have to listen to his rants throughout the run.

3 Likes

Hope he never watched The Walking Dead

2 Likes

Now thereā€™s a show that got very, very confused about itā€™s reason for existence. Wish theyā€™d actually got to Washington and done a proper ā€˜holy shitā€™ bit there, but no, just more endless pricking about in the countryside. Sake

Wasnā€™t the intro to series 2 the bit everybodyā€™s banging on about being the highlight of the entire series? You literally bailed at the worst possible time.

1 Like

I think I watched the first episode of series two and then thought fuck it, lifeā€™s too short - although this was a looooong time ago. Might have seen the odd bit here and there after that, I dunno. Iā€™m going to go look at some episode synopsis. What happened that was whizz bang fantastic?

I think I remember a raft and some other people or something.

1 Like

Definitely full of shit as Iā€™ve seen quite a bit, if not all of series two. Still think itā€™s shite but I guess I just get frustrated with the throw everything at something, it doesnā€™t need to make sense as weā€™re not going to explain it anyway. Love ambiguity but hate that lack of respect for the audience stuff. But each to their own. Was quite funny how angry it made my mate. Donā€™t think heā€™s ever recovered.

1 Like

3 Likes

Were there many other major TV series that had an entire storyline that had to be subtitled before Lost? Seems like a pretty big step forward for mainstream TV.

1 Like

also :smile:

2 Likes

werenā€™t that many australians on the plane come to think of it

I think the absolute worst bit in the whole series was where Claire acts like no one in Australia loves peanut butter. Itā€™s crazy. The whole country is fucking NUTS for the stuff.

this guy :grimacing:

2 Likes

Season 1 DONE.

Quite amazing that anyone would give up after that ending. So much intrigue and I know what happens nextā€¦

Also, quite amazing that thereā€™s literally no Dharma stuff in S1.

Right, S2. Desmond!

1 Like

Desmondā€™s! Now thereā€™s a show we should do a poll of.

The S1 stuff without all the flashbacks is fine, TBH. I think even the person who said they gave up after S1 realised they didnā€™t. The problem is that S2 absolutely does nothing to resolve the cliffhangers while continuing to drag the story to a snailā€™s pace with flashbacks so you just end up giving up on it.

Found this highly satisfying huge explanation of the whole thing online. No idea how accurate it is but it is pure batshit.

Iā€™m not going to spoiler, just ignore it all

Twin brothers were born on a mysterious and powerful island in the Pacific Ocean in the distant past. One was cursed with no physical formā€”and no name, referred to only as the Man in Black. The other was gifted immortality and various magical powers and was installed as protector of the island. His name was Jacob.

Because of rules set down by their adoptive mother, they could not kill one another. The Man in Black desired only to take human form and leave the island. Jacob wanted to stop that from happening because his brother would wreak havoc in the outside world.

Over the centuries, they brought travelers to the island to perform tasks for them. The Man in Black sought someone who could kill Jacob for him. Jacob sought a new protector to replace him. Eventually, Jacobā€™s followers formed a tribe known colloquially as the Others.

The last batch of travelers brought to the island were the passengers of Oceanic Flight 815, which crashed in September of 2004. Dozens of survivors of the crash banded together to survive their time on the island. The two key survivors were Jackā€”a man of scienceā€”and Lockeā€”a man of faith.

For 108 days, these castaways battled the elements, the Others, the Man in Black himself (in monstrous form) and each other.

Six of the Oceanic passengers managed to escape. These sixā€”including Jackā€”returned to the outside world. Meanwhile, the island was pulled into the past by Ben, the current leader of the Others. Doing this sent Ben to the outside world. Those remaining on the island skipped through time before landing permanently in 1974, at which time Locke was thrown into the outside world in 2007.

The ā€œOceanic Sixā€ and Locke were drawn back to the island. Those on the island made their peace with being stranded in the past.

Ben found and killed Locke out of jealousy for his seeming connection to Jacob. Ben then orchestrated everyoneā€™s return to the island in another plane crash, carrying along Lockeā€™s corpse. After the crash, Locke was resurrected.

In the past, the survivors decided to destroy the island with a nuclear weapon. The only result was that they were sent into the futureā€”to 2007ā€”where they met up with the returnees.

Locke convinced Ben to kill Jacob. After this it was revealed that this was not Locke, but the Man in Black, finally in human form. He needed to ā€œdeactivateā€ the island long enough to escape. He attempted to kill all of the Oceanic 815 passengersā€”those selected as contenders for Jacobā€™s position. Jack survived.

Jackā€™s only hope of killing the Man in Black was to deactivate the island as well, so they worked together. Once the islandā€™s power was shut off, the Man in Black could escape, but he was also now mortal. Jackā€”with some helpā€”defeated the Man in Black and used his final moments of strength to reactivate the island, thus allowing his remaining friends to escape.

Years later, after all the characters had died, they reunited in the afterlife in a strange alternate version of their lives if they had never encountered the island and the original Oceanic 815 had landed in Los Angeles uneventfully. Gradually, the characters reconnected and learned that this ā€œrealityā€ was just a gateway for them to pass from the world of the living to their final reward.

1 Like

That sounds pretty nailed on to me

1 Like

I was that man. No regrets.

2 Likes

Got this far and lost it laughing. :joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

Yeah itā€™s absolutely incredible.