šŸ“ŗ How Good Was it Really?: Monty Python's Flying Circus šŸ“ŗ

Itā€™s the fact that the average viewer couldnā€™t fully understand the jokes in the TV series unless they had a degree in history/literature/philosophy/whatever.

Elitism at itā€™s most elite.

Life Of Brian is the best comedy film ever made though.

Knight: Ni
Philosophy professor: Now, those who have studied Kant will know that what this knight was really saying wasā€¦

1 Like

Seemed pretty stupid and unfunny. I will ABSTAIN.

1 Like

thereā€™s a pretty funny reunion show they did for comedy central like 20 years ago? and at the beginning of this serious retrospective look back on their career, they bring out this urn with graham chapmanā€™s ashes in it, and itā€™s just there on the coffee table on stage throughout the interview. and while john cleese is giving this deep answer to a question about religion eric idle or someone puts their feet up and knocks the urn off the table and the ashes go everywhere. itā€™s just timed so well, and the audience gasp at first and think itā€™s a real accident until they start bringing out dust busters to hoover up. itā€™s a super obvious joke but seeing that when i was 10 was brilliant. made me realise death could be funny and it still cracks me up to think about john cleese dabbing a finger in the ashes and tasting it.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve said it before but Michael Palinā€™s diaries from the 1970s and the 1980s are well worth a read, especially for seeing how the Monty Python team worked together (and itā€™s very moving when he talks about Graham Chapmanā€™s death and being with him as he was dying)

4 Likes

Thought Holy Grail was shit so never bothered with Life of Brian.

Only voted on the films as to my knowledge Iā€™ve never watched the TV show.

3, 5, 4, 3 in that order.

Life Of Brian is far better than Holy Grail

I have no intention of finding out

really shit. maybe was funny in the 70s or something, whatever. 2/5 for the same reason @aggpass gave that score.

I think LoB is a better film, but HG is out and out funnier.

3 Likes

Holy Grail is still at essence a series of sketches, whereas Life of Brian structurally feels much more like a film. Definitely enjoyed HG more on itā€™s own terms.

looking at the comedy HGWIR so far and iā€™m slowly realising my idea of what is funny is very different to many people. maybe because of the current climate or something, my brain is warped by that and the internet. weird.

A classic case of history only remembering the winners. Nearly all famous TV Python sketches came from the first series. After that it was mostly miss.

What I did like about them was the refusal to pander to people who werenā€™t as educated as they were. If you didnā€™t know Proust, then fuck ya. But they still just did daft stuff like Silly Walks or slapping each other with fish.

comedy mostly isnā€™t funny tho tbh, which sounds like a hot take but isnā€™t. most comedy is a miss imo.

5 Likes

The majority of everything is bad or mediocre.

1 Like

Thought ya avergae python episode was a bit bobbins, but it had some great moments.

I love the movies, especially Holy Grail and Brian (even if the latter got ruined by people quoting the shit out of it)

3, 3, 5, 5, 3

Absolutely, consistently done by this

3 Likes

iirc they told the extras they couldnā€™t laugh during the scene where he gets right in their faces or it would spoil the take, and so some of the ladsā€™ desperate attempts to keep a straight face are legit :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like