šŸ“ŗ How Good Was it Really?: Peep Show šŸ“ŗ

The dog episode is awful

9 Likes

Dunno how to score this

Enjoyed the first 4 seasons first time around, diminishing returns after that. Tried to rewatch but couldnā€™t get to the end of the first episode because I was cringing so hard that it was a bit painful. Not sure I can give more than 3/5. Tbf never been as much of a thing for me as most people

Is this by the same writers?? Oh man this was a bit wank for the most part, cannot deal with Vodā€™s voice at all

I quite like the last season the episode at the soft play area is up there with some of the best as are parts of Super Hans Stag do.

4 Likes

Easy 5. Yeah it maybe dips a bit but only a touch. Some of the last episodes are incredible. The dinner party in particular

1 Like

Shark jump for me

6 Likes

Used to think it was good but I hate David Mitchell so much. Such a sarcastic twat.

1 Like

A stone cold classic 5/5. So good that no one has bothered to make another show where you hear the internal monologue of the characters since. (Iā€™m sure there are other examples, but Iā€™m not aware of any that use it to the same extent).

I love that it gives voice to all the pathetic little Mark thoughts in my head.

4 Likes

Loved the first few series at the time. Definitely remember watching the dog episode and thinking ā€œthis is too stupidā€. Havenā€™t seen the last few series. Never want to watch any of it ever again.

1 Like

Seems like it got something right about depressing failure men. I like it. Iā€™m never sure if Iā€™ve seen that much further than markā€™s wedding.

1 Like

Easy 5 for me, yeah there was a decline the latter series and the characters probably went too far but they were still pretty funny and better than most sitcoms. A peep show quote will pop in my head pretty much daily

Gerry (Jerry)? - late to the party but great character, smug prick. Love how ridiculous the last series gets.
ā€œHe isā€¦ kind of bagged for our convenienceā€

1 Like

One of those shows that seemed to jump the shark (with the dog-eating), but somehow managed to recover, with the last couple of series being as good as the first few.

Kind of like The Simpsons, I think I like it best when itā€™s about the small believable moments. Like Mark getting heckled by local teenagers in series 1, and living in fear and shame. But you can only do that for so long, before you have to push the characters and situations to the extreme. Then you get something thatā€™s much more hit and miss, and people are more likely to disagree on. E.g. I thought the BBQ dog was ridiculous and unbelievable and JUST TOO MUCH but Iā€™m sure others thought it was hilarious. On the flip side, I love when Mark goes absolutely insane at the dinner party with the blue eyeshadow and the Moroccan pasta, but Iā€™m sure others thought it was stupid.

Have watched quite a few episodes but just on YouTube in a random order so not really done it justice. Did they just about drop the internal dialogue stuff after a couple of seasons?

I actually like what Iā€™ve seen, seems to capture a certain generational version of male failure, but each episode feels more like a series of gags compared to something like Curb which is more structured. Also tends to end up with too much shouting.
3?

I liked the intro music which they dropped for some crap indie song. Bit of a shame.

4 Likes

Gone for a 3 on The Mitchell and Webb look, like most sketch shows pretty hit and miss. They seemed to really have a problem finding a good punchline.

I was 19 when the stag weekend episode aired and probably due to my age found it hilarious and probably still do not watched it for a while.

canā€™t remember what season is what, all kind of blends together

2 Likes

At itā€™s height it was exceptional. It loses points for staying well beyond itā€™s stay and for it being MY IDEA that I should have made my fortune from (also galling how both the actors are jerks)

1 Like