📺 How Good Was it Really?: Red Dwarf 📺

Man, out of interest I’ve just Googled some stuff about VIII. There’s a recent reappraisal that slams it but the funny thing is, although I agree on some points, a lot of the negatives it mentions are bits I like and weaknesses I consider strengths etc…

It will forever be a mystery to me

CAT: “Hey, I’m so hungry, I just have to eat!”

LISTER: “Shhh! Rimmer’s dad’s died.”

CAT: “I’d prefer chicken.”

2 Likes

Someone has dicked around with this but the sketch is still brilliant.

3 Likes

There’s a guy next to me at work who is a big fan. Whenever I have fish for lunch (roughly once a week) we reenact this scene.

“what’s fish of the day today jimmer?”
“today’s fish is trout a la creme”
“enjoy your meal”
“I will”

3 Likes

“too slow chicken morengo. Too slow for this cat”

2 Likes

I habitually refer to dead people as “being in the ground now”, thanks to Cat and Rimmer’s father :see_no_evil:

I haven’t mentioned that the two wifi networks in our house are called Chicken Morengo (2.4ghz) and Gazpacho Soup (5ghz). Obviously it’s that way round because Chicken Morengo is slower!

2 Likes

I worked with someone called Keith* Fish at my old work. Never tired of greeting him with “FIIIISH!! Today’s fish is Keith Fish!”

* first name changed in case he Googles himself

3 Likes

I love the way he looks away then flicks the chicken with his hand. I’ve seen my cat do this exact same thing with a dead vole. Cracks me up every time :smiley:

3 Likes

I liked 7 and 8 as a kid, bc I think they were the first ones I saw. I think I liked the idea of a space prison for some reason (and possibly Kochanski was an early crush), but I can sort of see looking back why they wouldn’t hold up so well (despite not having really seen those ones in donkeys).

Always really liked the atmosphere. Something about having a huge space ship all to myself really appealed to me as a kid for some reason. Yeah, def. going to rewatch series 1 and 2 at least at some point.

2 Likes

I think this is why Alien was such a natural fit for me as a favourite film when I was a few years older.