šŸ“ŗ How Good Was it Really: Sex and the City šŸ“ŗ

Fuck I forgot about Mirandaā€™s alcoholic plotline, it felt so contrived. No context, she just now drinks all the time, and goes to bars before theyā€™re open. I feel my British / European background took me a while before I realised it was even potentially a plotline, but of course in American TV, a character has one glass of wine and the next thing you know thereā€™s an intervention.

Itā€™s definitely better than the 2nd film, and even without all of the Abu Dhabi fucking nonsense of that film, I think the whole format lends itself so much better to an ongoing series than a film. It feels shitty and unnatural to rush these plotlines too much.

1 Like

I saw something on Instagram about the shower scene itā€™s supposed to be like a split second in time for Carrie and not the full evening of him dying in her arms. It was just so funny they were like AND JUST LIKE THAT big was dead like lol JUST LIKE THAT poof he gone
There was something about the shoes too but couldnā€™t remember :woman_shrugging:

Tbh Iā€™m pissed off about that first episode but the second episode had be SOBBING.

I didnā€™t mind these two episodes but I am a trash human who does love the films. Iā€™m not sure I love the content of any of the films or new shows, but I just LOVE Carrie. Sheā€™s awful but I love watching her and I love the fashion and the apartments and stuff.

I do miss Samantha though and the show feels a bit stiff and unfunny without her.

Iā€™m also hoping Aidan comes back because AIDAN :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

I couldnā€™t believe what they did to Aidanā€™s character in the second film. It was like they wanted to drill it home that BIG IS THE ONE, NOT AIDAN, STOP LIKING AIDAN!.

I agree, and I think that at the time of dying, sheā€™d be the one whoā€™d be the rock for Carrie, more than the other two. She was so good for Smith, showed how caring she really is when it matters. Conversely, I think they made Charlotte too flippant about it all. I get that she canā€™t cope with the sadness, but she was actually a terrible friend for her at that time, and then tried to make it about her.

i watched it, having not seen the original series, knowing that it wasnā€™t my kind of thing, and expecting not to like it, and lo and behold, it was not my thing and i didnā€™t like it. lasted until the first scene at the university.

Two painful, painful scenes, where I was cringing more at the writing than the situation itself. Also made me giggle at the idea of the podcast world being like the new celebrity aspirational peak. ā€œSo you wanna be a podcast star, huh? Youā€™ve gotta talk about masturbation orā€¦ YER OFF THA SHOW!ā€

1 Like

Also annoyed that they killed off Big, because they could have explored a whole new array of topics and dilemmas with Carrie in a long-term, settled relationship. That plotline was the best thing about the 2nd film. On the other hand though, being a widow will open a whole new series of situations too, weā€™ll see.

I donā€™t think we will see much of that, could guarantee in 2 episodes time itā€™ll be like AND JUST LIKE THAT there is a life after Big

2 Likes

I liked the plotline with Carrie in this one, and have to admit that right at the end when she goes to her apartment and says ā€œAND JUST LIKE THATā€ I literally laughed out loud imagining @anon44830896 had nailed it in this post. Iā€™m not sure how I feel about the storyline about Mirandaā€™s sexuality because I know for years that a lot of idiot men would refer to her as being the lesbian one because of little more than her short hair. I donā€™t think Willieā€™s got enough of a big personality to be a Samantha replacement, if anything it makes more sense for it to be Mario Cantone, but Iā€™m not so sure he has the heart to truly be part of the 4.

1 Like

I think we need to brainstorm what she will actually say when that moment comes as itā€™s got to be something so cheesy

AND JUST LIKE THAT I wasnā€™t just living a Big life after all

3 Likes

:wave: I am also watching. @anon44830896 I sobbed throughout episode two too

Iā€™m disappointed at how Mirandaā€™s character has been developed. She was always such a head-strong and assertive woman and now sheā€™s embarrassing herself tripping over ā€˜saying the wrong thingā€™ and second-guessing herself. Not to mention what she is putting up with from Brady. It just doesnā€™t add up to the Miranda we knew.

That said, I am really enjoying it and am very glad it is back.

3 Likes

Garbage. Altho itā€™s interesting to wonder whether itā€™s really aged any worse than The Wire, considering how much of that show is super cringe now.

Okay Iā€™m finding this a bit of a hard watch now. The themes are just too cringe and feel like itā€™s really catering to old people who are struggling to be in any way progressive and itā€™s completely lost touch of those people who found the show a little later in life. Like thereā€™s nothing for the late 20s to late 30s crowd is there?

Carrie seems to be finding grief an absolute breeze???! Itā€™s weird.

I will still watch.

1 Like

Great points about Miranda, it is a bit of a weird character turn for her, Iā€™m still holding out for something bigger and more interesting long-term, but weā€™ll see. I keep cringing at the brooding alcoholic story, and the seeds of it inevitably leading to something bigger, but as my partner pointed out, itā€™s refreshing for an American show to show that people can have a few drinks and an unhealthy relationship with alcohol and still be functional human beings. She makes a good point, American TV usually goes overboard with this, but I still think itā€™s just leading to something where she becomes tee-total and perhaps vegan (which will be dealt with with the same tact as every subject so far, no doubt.)

2 Likes

Hard agree with this. The way they handled Stamfordā€™s character going to Tokyo, and shoehorned the ā€œheā€™s managing a TikTok star touring Asiaā€ was just awful. Also, the whole ā€œHaha, Iā€™m just trying not to be a racistā€ storyline with Charlotte, what the actual fuck! That was sooo bad, and the whole storyline with her trying to invite black friends to her dinner party so her new black friends would not think they only have white friends just had me shouting ā€œYou are a bad person!ā€ at the TV. Charlotte was always my least favourite, but I feel like theyā€™re taking her to new levels of badā€¦

I did like the new realtor character though, and there were a few moments I liked, such as Mirandaā€™s conversation about having children. Itā€™s enough to keep me watching but it does feel like a few nuggets of okayness amongst a whole lot of cringe at the moment

Alsoā€¦ Is this why Chris Noth (Big) was written out?

CW: Sexual assault

Only unspoiler this if you want to know already, but he doesnā€™t appear in any more episodes and part of the reason he was written out so half-heartedly was that heā€™d planned to, but his health took a turn for the worse so wasnā€™t able to in the end. Quite sad actually, considering how big a character heā€™d been throughout. This explains it better.

1 Like

They said she just moved to London and stopped talking to the girls

1 Like

Weird episode.

The whole getting fingerbanged while your incapacitated friend pisses the bed a few metres away was quite eyebrow raising

So bizarre. Not sure why Carrie didnā€™t just tell Miranda louder, especially when she could see what was going on in the mirror.

I just feel like Miranda is doing too much. Your storyline canā€™t be ALL the things.

2 Likes