šŸ“ŗ How Good Was it Really: The Mighty Boosh šŸ“ŗ

I liked it. First episode I ever saw was the Milky Joe one, so I think itā€™s my favourite just because of that.

Didnā€™t watch season three.

Sticking to my principal of not voting on shows I havenā€™t seen, but this one is testing my resolve - everything Iā€™ve seen from it looks custom designed to irritate me. Hated Noel Fielding as a result ever since, only acceptable on the IT Crowd and Iā€™m starting to grudgingly accept that heā€™s half decent on Bake Off.

1/5 in my theoretical vote

they call me the midnight barber

1 Like

youā€™ve hated him despite the fact youā€™ve only seen him on IT Crowd and you liked him, and think heā€™s okay on Bake Off. Thatā€™s weird man

1 Like

Very, very of its time. Some classic gags, and the comedic chemistry between Fielding and Barratt is undeniable (and, Gervais and Merchant style, their subsequent work has proven that they were more than the sum of their parts) but it has not aged well. One of those situations where once you spot the patterns, see the strings as it were, theyā€™re impossible to unsee.

What I will say is that The Mighty Boosh and Gareth Marenghiā€™s Darkplace are probably the only 2 examples I can think of where a successful Fringe sketch/ensemble show has been transitioned to TV in a way thatā€™s both effective in its own right, AND maintains the ā€˜feelā€™ of an Edinburgh show. I could name endless examples of similar failures but I think the one that comes immediately to mind is Pappyā€™s Badults. Just a shit flatshare sitcom.

4 Likes

I like the ā€˜Crack Foxā€™ episode from the universally hated third series.

Iā€™ve been rewatching S1 of Flight of the Conchords, which was made in the same year as the final series of The Mighty Boosh. I think Boosh was dated/pushing it even by 2007 standards.

Similarly, my favourite episode is the party episode from the same series. The hashcake bit, and the Fleetwood Mac/Charles & Eddy bits are 2 of my fave gags from the whole show

1 Like

You jack of clubs

I never really watched it, but I think everyone thought I was a massive fan

Iā€™ve seen both in the last year and FotC feels 100 times fresher

plus the songs are actually good

3 Likes

Was massively into it for like a like a two week period in 2007 which conincided with me joining DiS and having to pick an username.

Havenā€™t watched it since.

I fucking hate jazz.

13 Likes

Looking forward to being contrary in the FOTC edition of this thread

2 Likes

was shite at the time, shite now

5 Likes

Klaxons are for life, man.

1 Like

This completely sums up my feelings.

1 Like

afraid I was always too cool for this show

2 Likes

Must admit I do still regularly refer to one of my colleagues as a Camden Leisure Pirate and it really does suit him.

Loved it at the time for many reasons already stated. Saw the live show at the Brighton center, and generally thought it was great.

Rewatched it a couple of months ago, and thought it was mostly fine, couple of high points and some really low ones. 3/5 as we canā€™t score on half points.

2 Likes

I havenā€™t seen any episodes but Iā€™ve caught some clips or seen bits when other people have watched it near me. So not enough to vote here but enough to know I really (generally) donā€™t like his style.

TBF also seen him on things like 8 Out of 10 Cats et al, and felt the same negative things there too.

I canā€™t decide. I like him but Iā€™ve heard heā€™s a dick.

Without a doubt the worst show to have featured in a HGWIR so far

4 Likes