📺 How Good Was it Really?: The Royle Family 📺

Oh, thats a shame for you Emma… You could have some wafer-thin ham though, Barbara can’t she have some wafer-thin ham?

4 Likes

I love it so much. When I went back to the family home at christmas last year, somebody had brought the box set with them and we worked our way through all of them. That slow pace became contagious and we all barely moved off the sofa for a week.

It’s so clever how they could make jim so repellant and yet ultimately likable.

I’m only not smoking in front of Baby David until he’s old enough to get up and walk out of the room, then it’s his choice

Brilliant really isn’t it. Just the sofa slump of it all.

2 Likes

Love the episode where Joe’s hurt his finger so they give him a KitKat!

2 Likes

Also can’t believe that Mrs Merton was a spin-off from Frank Sidebottom

I think this is why the end of TQOS works so well as a payoff for his character, when he’s crying in the hospital and puts the urn on top of the TV, we see how much he genuinely does care all the way through.

2 Likes

Weirdly I could never get on with Royle “my arse” Family, but Early Doors is a straight up 5/5.

Two perfect series, not a duff moment in all of it. TO THE REGIMENT!

1 Like

Absolutely outstanding, one of my favourite programmes ever. First sitcom I remember without a laugh track, which seemed revolutionary to me at the time. First two series are perfect.
The scene where Joe gets a bit drunk and sings I’ll Take You Home Again, Kathleen always does me.
Also, Ricky Tomlinson is the only celebrity who I’ve ever gone and asked for a photo with.

3 Likes

Mary: What were her last words Barbara?
Barbara: Trevor McDonald.
Mary: Ohhhh Barbara. What a fitting tribute to the man.

8 Likes

I was a big fan. Even though there was a running family joke as I looked quite a lot like Anthony which is also my name.

“You can still smell shit in here.”

1 Like

The Royle Family is 100% one of the greatest tv shows ever made.

caroline-aherne-royle-family

4 Likes

Caroline Aherne was the best :slightly_frowning_face:

13 Likes

Anybody remember World of Pub?

Went to a bbq at ralf littles house about 10 years ago, (he was staying in a little 3 bed terrace Sheffield with some mates, guess he was in a play there or something). He made us watch loads of clips of flight of the conchords on a little laptop. Nice guy.

3 Likes

Did anyone watch Dossa & Joe?

I remember reading about it at the time, but never caught an episode.

I did. Seemed to be trying to be an Australian Royle Family with Madge from Neighbours. Didn’t get it, possibly because I’m not Australian. Or maybe it was rubbish.

I didn’t really appreciate it initially (I was only 11 to be fair) but ultimately came to really love it, the terrible over-reach of the specials notwithstanding. Found it intensely recognisable - visiting my uncles over Christmas was so similar to the Royles, from how their houses looked to how everyone acted.

My dad called me Lurchio for a good while off the back of it.

1 Like