How Good Was The Year (in music) - 1965?

From the latest possible year in the series to the earliest yet, we are now ranking the music of 1965.

A reminder of the premise of the thread

Rate the music of the year out of ten, based on the albums, singles, gigs, whatever that stand out for you that year. Non-musical nostalgia is welcome in the thread but that’s beside the point of the poll.

Everyone may nominate one album and one song from the year which will then be collated into side-polls on the final day of the thread (in one week) - please make it clear when you post a nomination for the poll, e.g

Leaderboard
Rank Year Rating Top Album Top Song
1 1997 8.60 Radiohead - OK Computer The Beta Band - Dry The Rain
2 1967 8.48 Love - Forever Changes Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazlewood - Some Velvet Morning
3 2013 8.29 Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Push the Sky Away Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Jubilee Street
4 2019 8.14 Self Esteem - Compliments Please Big Thief - Not
5 2004 8.10 Madvillain - Madvillainy / Arcade Fire - Funeral The Walkmen - The Rat
6 2014 7.69 FKA Twigs - LP1 FKA Twigs - Two Weeks
7 1970 7.61 Neil Young - After the Goldrush Curtis Mayfield - Move on Up
8 1976 7.47 David Bowie - Station to Station Bob Dylan - Hurricane
9 1986 7.42 Talk Talk - The Colour of Spring New Order - Bizarre Love Triangle
10 2009 7.10 Fever Ray - Fever Ray Animal Collective - My Girls
11 1974 6.95 Neil Young - On The Beach Gil Scott-Heron & Brian Jackson - The Bottle
12 1985 6.53 Tom Waits - Rain Dogs Prince and the Revolution - Raspberry Beret

1965 was the year that when Malcolm X was assassinated, Bob Dylan went electric, Tom and Jerry and Thunderbirds debuted on television and a 70mph speed limit was applied to Britain’s previously unrestricted motorways.

We said goodbye to Winston Churchill, Nat King Cole, TS Eliot, Stan Laurel and Clara Bow and hello to Robert Downey Jr, Dr Dre, The Undertaker, Steve Coogan and Bjork.

How good was the music?

0 voters

(Poll open until evening of Wednesday 23rd March, album and song polls will go up evening of Monday 21st based on your nominations)

Some lists for inspiration:

https://www.albumoftheyear.org/ratings/6-highest-rated/1965/1
Best Albums of 1965 : Best Ever Albums
https://rateyourmusic.com/charts/top/album/1965/
100 Greatest Albums of 1965

100 Greatest Songs From 1965
The 50 Best Songs of 1965 : Napster

Nominations will be tallied here as the week goes on:

Album Nominations

Song Nominations

Oh wait that’s not what you asked for.

3 Likes

What a year

NOMINATE SONG
Do I Love You (Indeed I Do) - Frank Wilson

2 Likes

If you’ll forgive the Clapton, think this is an all-time great rock and roll intro. Love the percussion.

2 Likes

Was thinking about nominating Rubber Soul but there are a couple of clangers on it tbh and Run For Your Life :grimacing: so

NOMINATE ALBUM
Otis Blue/Otis Redding Sings Soul - Otis Redding

4 Likes

Best male vocalist of all time and it’s not even close

1 Like

In 1965, Luxembourg won Eurovision with this perky bop penned by Serge Gainsbourg and inspired by Beethoven.

4 Likes

Nominate song: The Byrds ‘I’ll feel a whole lot better’

5 Likes

Thanks @Octobadger, going to have some good fun these next few days revisiting the music of '65 (and will need some time to do that), but right off the bat there is this for the jazz aficionados out there (well for everyone sane, really). Really going to take something to beat this - a lot of folks out there owe an awful lot to this wonderous piece of music recorded way back in '64 and released in '65:

[PS Don’t be put off by the “1964” in that Deezer link - as noted A Love Supreme was recorded in December '64 and released in Jan '65, so is certainly a '65 album.]

Love these threads and your work @octobadger

4 Likes

Going to jump straight in with a nomination for one of my favourite songs,

Dionne Warwick - Are You There (With Another Girl?)

Some Bacharach and David magic, beautifully sung and orchestrated, the tentative verses echo the unease of Dionne approaching the scene of the betrayal she fears is waiting and I love that crescendo

You would never leave me, hurt me or deceive me
I’m a fool to doubt you, worry so about you
Love requires faith, I’ve got a lotta faith but

1 Like

Never listened to The Beach Boys Today. Need to correct that.

2 Likes

I’ll album nominate Francoise Hardy - L’Amitie

2 Likes

Unbelievably ridiculous to think that Dylan recorded and released both Bringing It All Back Home and Highway 61 Revisited in '65.

He really was lightyears ahead of everyone.

3 Likes

Are you nominating that?

Quite probably, @paulo but please don’t let that stop you if you wanted to go for it. I’ll be voting for it anyway, if it is nominated, and there is no ownership in nominations - first come, first served! For myself, I need to revisit a few albums more first, before making my final decision on nominations. Enjoying a bit of Bob right now …

I need to put The Beach Boys Today and Françoise Hardy’s L’amitié in my backlog, haven’t hear either one.

1 Like

Listened to The Beach Boys a couple of times today. Really like it - I already knew a few of the songs and I think it gets Brian Wilson maybe at his most Brill Building influenced which is the stuff I like.

Final track aside :slight_smile:

I was tempted to nominate the track below. It reminds me of my father, he had the single and I played it loads as a little kid. I’ve just listened to it now and by god it’s dark - made even darker now that I’ve discovered that it was written by Jonathan King.

In that case :grin:

Album Nomination: John Coltrane - A Love Supreme

Quiet simply one of the greatest albums ever made.

2 Likes

Hmmm - actually, maybe not as I have just realised one of my dearest Thelonious Monk albums comes from this very year, Solo Monk. Monk trumps Coltrane (for me):

… although I appreciate this is unlikely to get many more than my single vote, sadly!

[Edit: I just saw you nominated A Love Supreme (thank you - no conflict now for me nominating Monk. As you rightly say, A Love Supreme is indeed simply one of the greatest albums of all time!)]

1 Like