How Good Was The Year (in music) - 1967?

Leaderboard
Year Rating Top Album Top Song
1997 8.6 Radiohead - OK Computer The Beta Band - Dry The Rain
Premise

Rate the music of the year out of ten, based on the albums, singles, gigs, whatever that stand out for you that year. Non-musical nostalgia is welcome in the thread but that’s beside the point of the poll.

Everyone may nominate one album and one song from the year which will then be collated into side-polls on the final day of the thread (in one week) - please make it clear when you post, e.g

Nominate Album: Artist - Title
Nominate Song: Artist - Title

Otherwise feel free to just spam the thread with chat about as much music from the year as you like.

This week we go back a further 30 years to 1967.

It was the year we said goodbye to John Coltrane, Otis Redding, Jayne Mansfield and Robert Oppenheimer, and said hello to Kurt Cobain, Nicole Kidman, Julia Roberts and Pamela Anderson.

It was the Summer of Love, the year of the first successful human heart transplant, the launch of BBC radio 1, 2, 3 and 4, the Concorde jet was unveiled and Elvis Presley married Priscilla.

Just how good was the music?

0 voters

Velvet Underground and Nico, Sgt. Pepper’s, Forever Changes, Songs Of Leonard Cohen, Buffalo Springfield Again. It was a good year.

4 Likes
4 Likes
5 Likes

Second greatest love song of all time recorded that year.

6 Likes

Never heard this before.

Oh man, TOON

1 Like

Probably the first year for a significant number of great albums that align with my personal tastes.

I’ll mention a few albums I love but maybe aren’t the really obvious ones

Jacqueline TaΓ―eb - S/T
Maxfield/Reich/Oliveros - New Sounds in Electronic Music
James Carr - You Got My Mind Messed Up
Ennio Morricone - Battle of Algiers ost
Francois Hardy - Ma Jeunesse Fout Le Camp
David Lewiston - The Morning of the World: The Balinese Gamelan

2 Likes
4 Likes

A handful of albums this year that I’d put at the very top of the all time greatest list. And the songs too. I’ll narrow down my nominations in the morning.

Here are a few of my other highlights from the year though:

5 Likes

Axis: Bold as Love, Goodbye and Hello, Disraeli Gears, Moby Grape, Magical Mystery Tour, Younger Than Yesterday, John Wesley Harding, I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You.

Yeah, wasn’t a bad year.

3 Likes

Also Prince Buster recorded a fantastic live record in 1967 on the ska, rock steady, reggae tip.

Wish they remastered this record.

5 Likes

Fuck, thought this was 1968. Any chance to post this gem.

2 Likes

Nina Simone Sings the Blues

Easter Everywhere

4 Likes
3 Likes

Also recorded in 1967. Top 5 jazz records of the 60’s imo, bold I know.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Season of the Witch MASSIVE tune.

1 Like

Feeling personally attacked

6 Likes

i dont really know much about what was released when but a quick scroll down the releases of this year and i dont know how i could go w anything less than a 9.

Nominate Song: Albert King - Born Under A Bad Sign
a truly perfect song with a perfect bass line

so many good albums but think i gotta with
Nominate Album: The Doors - Strange Days

2 Likes