How Good Was The Year (in music) - 1967?

Ah yeah I meant to add these for reference.

2 Likes

Nominate Album: Duke Ellington’s Far East Suite

There are two of the greatest rock albums of all time that I’m sure someone is going to nominate, so I’m going to add an equally masterful big band jazz record. Phenomenal stuff.

Nominate Song: Aretha Franklin - Respect

The best.

1 Like

I think it’s safe to assume there’s not as much lived experience of this year than we had to talk about with 1997.

Here are some of the notable books and movies that came out this year:

Nominate album: Love - Forever Changes

Best album ever made. Here are my thoughts on it

7 Likes

Nominate song: Otis Redding & Carla Thomas - Tramp

3 Likes

Forgot that the jimi hendrix experience released are you experienced AND axis bold as love in 1967. Ridiculous.

3 Likes

Country Joe & The Fish - ‘Electric Music For The Mind & Body’ is a psychedelic masterpiece from this year, I can’t recommend it enough. The sequencing of the tracks is arranged so that each side can be listened to as a ‘trip’ in it’s own right - 16 year old me got this for Christmas along with a lava lamp and a block of gold seal (that was a gift to myself) and it was definitely one of my best holiday seasons. Treat yourself to it!

4 Likes

Album nomination: Ennio Morricone - The Battle of Algiers

Track nomination: Anna Karina - Sous le soleil exactement

4 Likes

What a year. And what a debut album this is.

Nominate album: Leonard Cohen - Songs of Leonard Cohen

Tempting to go for the devastatingly beautiful So Long, Marianne for the track choice, but instead I’m going for this wonderful and strange duet.

Nominate track: Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazlewood - Some Velvet Morning

This quote from Lee Hazlewood (via Wikipedia) made me laugh: “I thought they (stories in Greek mythology) were a lot better than all those fairy tales that came from Germany that had killings and knifings. There was only about seven lines about Phaedra. She had a sad middle, a sad end, and by the time she was 17 she was gone. She was a sad-assed broad, the saddest of all Greek goddesses. So bless her heart, she deserves some notoriety, so I’ll put her in a song.”

5 Likes

Excellent year. Here are those I’ve rated 8/10 or higher:

Love - Forever Changes
The Byrds - Younger Than Yesterday
Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band - Safe as Milk
The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Axis: Bold as Love
Pink Floyd - The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
The Kinks - Something Else by The Kinks
The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band
The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour
Buffalo Springfield - Buffalo Springfield Again
Cream - Disraeli Gears
Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow
Tages - Studio
Tages - Contrast

Also very strong 7/10s:
The Rolling Stones - Between the Buttons
The Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed
The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced
The Rolling Stones - Their Satanic Majesties Request
Leonard Cohen - Songs of Leonard Cohen
The Doors - s/t
The Doors - Strange Days
Clear Light - Clear Light
The Smoke - …It’s Smoke Time
The Who - The Who Sell Out

Many bands were prolific in the 60s and 70s, with little time between great albums, but it’s interesting to see several bands release two albums in 1967. The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix Experience, The Doors, The Rolling Stones, Jefferson Airplane, Tages, and I think The Beach Boys too.

I’ll work on picking my nominations soon. Not seen too many official nominations yet, and my top choice, Love, was already mentioned so I’ll pick something else.

Wanted to share a few tracks from Tages, a lesser-known Swedish band.

3 Likes

Realized I forgot to include Bee Gees’ 1st above, a great album that easily fits into my top 10 for 1967, and the Bee Gees era I like best.

A few other favs from great albums less likely to get nominations:

1 Like

I’ll put up the album and song polls on 2nd Jan, 24 hours before closing the main rating poll. Only 4 nominations on each so far so let’s have some more of your favourites please!

Nominated Albums
Duke Ellington’s Far East Suite
Love - Forever Changes
Ennio Morricone - The Battle of Algiers

Nominated Songs
Aretha Franklin - Respect
Otis Redding & Carla Thomas - Tramp
Anna Karina - Sous le soleil exactement
Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazlewood - Some Velvet Morning

Really interesting looking at the lists of best albums/singles. I definitely have mixed feelings about this era of music.

On the singles list especially I can see how it can feel like an almost perfect intersection where album based rock fused with pop but even though I know virtually all of the songs I’m not sure I actually like that many of them.

So much of this music was really ubiquitous when I was growing up in the 80s and 90s. On tv, films, ads etc. As a result I kind of don’t know how I feel about a lot of it, it’s like you’ve been told so often it is brilliant and heard it so often but there isn’t any real emotional connection.

Obviously The Beatles, Dylan and others are still ubiquitous but it seems like artists like Hendrix, The Doors, Cream, The Who maybe not so much?

I listened to so much of this music when I was 15-20 but not much of it has really stuck, it’s taken me longer to really discover the music from that era that I actually love (of course there’s exceptions like the VU). Nothing against any of this music but I’m glad we seem to have moved past the point where a really small number of (male rock) artists whose artistic peak was around ‘66 - ‘70 are held up as some sort of sole pinnacle of popular music.

Just waffling lots of great music in ‘67 of course.

1 Like

Apologies @theShipment I started collating that list from my post, forgot you got in first with the nominations.

Nominated Albums
The Doors - Strange Days
Duke Ellington’s Far East Suite
Love - Forever Changes
Ennio Morricone - The Battle of Algiers

Nominated Songs
Albert King - Born Under A Bad Sign
Aretha Franklin - Respect
Otis Redding & Carla Thomas - Tramp
Anna Karina - Sous le soleil exactement
Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazlewood - Some Velvet Morning

1 Like

Album - axis: bold as love
Song - Waterloo sunset

2 Likes

I have a massive blindspot with a lot of older music, but

Song Nomination: Procol Harum - Whiter Shade of Pale

Vividly remember hearing it for the first time while stopped at a 7-11 on the way back from Kings Dominion as a kid and it floored me. One of those songs that instantly takes over the room with the mood it sets and goes right for your brain chemistry.

Album Nomination: Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced

Memories of waking up on long drives in the backseat with this album blasting and my dad driving way too fast.

4 Likes

Really don’t know much 60s music at all, but loads of amazing albums been mentioned so far – looks like this was a great year.

Favourite album is probably a bit of a cheat as don’t think it was released properly until 2001, but was recorded in 1967 and they’re probably my favourite 60s band

Pärson Sound - Pärson Sound

Some absolutely incredible rocksteady albums coming out of Jamaica in ’67 too:

The Paragons – On the Beach

The Gaylads – Soul Beat

The Heptones – The Heptones

(Debut album – doesn’t seem to be on youtube or bandcamp :slightly_frowning_face:)

Would have gone for Waterloo Sunset for song choice if it hadn’t already gone, so going for Tide Is High by the Paragons

Love these threads - discovered some cool stuff in both of them so far - cheers @Octobadger

5 Likes

Just found the Heptones under a different title!

The Mothers of Invention - Absolutely Free