How Good Was The Year (in music) - 1970?

The HGWTY Randomiser issued 1970 when I cranked it up earlier; the second earliest year we have had yet in the series and the first ending in 0.

A reminder of the premise of the thread

Rate the music of the year out of ten, based on the albums, singles, gigs, whatever that stand out for you that year. Non-musical nostalgia is welcome in the thread but that’s beside the point of the poll.

Everyone may nominate one album and one song from the year which will then be collated into side-polls on the final day of the thread (in one week) - please make it clear when you post a nomination for the poll, e.g

Leaderboard
Rank Year Rating Top Album Top Song
1 1997 8.60 Radiohead - OK Computer The Beta Band - Dry The Rain
2 1967 8.48 Love - Forever Changes Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazlewood - Some Velvet Morning
3 2013 8.29 Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Push the Sky Away Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Jubilee Street
4 2004 8.10 Madvillain - Madvillainy / Arcade Fire - Funeral The Walkmen - The Rat
5 2014 7.69 FKA Twigs - LP1 FKA Twigs - Two Weeks
6 1976 7.47 David Bowie - Station to Station Bob Dylan - Hurricane
7 1986 7.42 Talk Talk - The Colour of Spring New Order - Bizarre Love Triangle
8 2009 7.10 Fever Ray - Fever Ray Animal Collective - My Girls
9 1974 6.95 Neil Young - On The Beach Gil Scott-Heron & Brian Jackson - The Bottle

1970 was the year that the Beatles broke up, when Brazil won their third football world cup and ownership of the original Jules Rimet trophy, 600,000 people attended the largest ever music festival at the Isle of Wight and the Miss World pageant was interrupted by Women’s Liberation protestors and The Angry Brigade.

We said goodbye to Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Vince Lombardi, Rube Goldberg and Charles de Gaulle, and hello to Matt Damon, Mariah Carey, Queen Latifah and Andre Agassi.

How good was the music?

0 voters

(Poll open until evening of Tuesday 8th March, album and song polls will go up evening of Sunday 6th based on your nominations)

Some lists for inspiration:

https://rateyourmusic.com/charts/top/album/1970/

Nominations will be tallied here as the week goes on:

Album Nominations

Song Nominations

1 Like

1970 is a great year for music and one I’ve listened to a lot. I have an ongoing ‘listening project’ thing, a bit like this thread but immersing myself in one year at a time in depth for months, alongside new music and other stuff. 1970 is one of the few years I’ve done.

Anyway, the 1970 listening project introduced me to Miles Davis, Alice Coltrane and Amon Düül II - as artists, as well as these three specific albums. All mind-blowingly brilliant.

6 Likes

Incredibly easy song nomination. The absolutely perfect Move on Up

11 Likes

Not gonna be a lot from me on this one but

Nominate Song: The Five Stairsteps - O-o-h Child (Boys n the Hood memories)

Some cracking stuff this year, that 1-2-3 of Who Loves the Sun, Sweet Jane & Rock & Roll that kicks off Loaded is almost unparalleled

One of my all-time favourite individual recordings is from 1970

Perfection

Lennon released his best song in 1970 too

Gonna give it some more thought before full nominations though

3 Likes

Kanye & Pamela Andersson ruined this song for me :frowning:

2 Likes

That opening run of Let It Be is the best thing The Beatles ever did, it’s going to be very hard not to nominate one of those and very hard to pick only one.

We’ve watched 9 hours of footage so Let It Be

Yeah, probably near the bottom of the Beatles album table but it’s still the Beatles.

1 Like

always perfect always prescient

3 Likes

my fav temptations song, love when they did psychedelic stuff. all about when that guitar comes in

1 Like

i think if i could play guitar like anyone i would chose ry cooder

Loving these threads - they really highlight the amazing collective music knowledge on DiS; already lots for me to check out.

My album nom is going to be easy this year but I’ll hold back to take the time to put together a top 20 or so.

2 Likes

Great Year. So many great albums, but I will go early with my track nomination: Joni Mitchell, Woodstock from Ladies of the Canyon (great album too):

Joni did a great job of summing up Woodstock and the whole feel of 1970, I think (although I was still a wee nipper then).

Edit: not sure why the link suggests 1973, the album and this track are indeed from 1970, so don’t be shy to vote for it :grin:

2 Likes

I wish Billy Joel had continued down this path rather than whatever he became. Reviewed as the worst album ever or something at the time. This is legit great!

Think they split up when Billy ran off with the other dude partner. Outrageous.

Great year

A lot of key releases by Brazil’s big hitters:

Jorge Ben – Forca Bruta

Minton Nascimento – Milton Nascimento

Os Mutantes – A Divina Comédia ou Ando Meio Desligado

Tim Maia – Tim Maia

Tom Ze – Tom Ze

Egberto Gismoni – Sonho 70

4 Likes

Album nomination

Vashti Bunyan - Just Another Diamond Day

I think it’s a thing of rare fragility and beauty but I can understand someone finding it too, I dunno, twee? It’s certainly one of the most gentle albums I’ve ever heard. Just over half an hour long, they are quite simple songs sympathetically adorned just enough, I won’t run from a recorder and there’s some lovely Robert Kirby arrangements on a few songs, like this one.

A perfect late Winter early Spring listen

5 Likes

Wonderful track. Also has the added curiosity of there being three versions of it released in 1970, this amazing original (as a B side to Big Yellow Taxi as well as on the album) plus two big cover versions, the Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young one which went top 20 in the US and the Matthews Southern Comfort one which topped the UK charts.

1 Like

There’s an amazing number of stone cold all-time classic albums from 1970. But I trust we’ll get round to those in time!

I want earlier than I usually do with my nomination this time for a record that doesn’t ever seem to have been mentioned on these boards:

Nominate Album : Exuma - Exuma

Bahamian psychedelic voodoo freak folk, FFO Dr John, Captain Beefheart. No idea how many people know it, I didn’t until Spotify’s algorithms pushed a track on to me one week, but I hope some of you find time to listen to it and maybe even enjoy it.

2 Likes
1 Like