How Good Was The Year (in music) - 1974?

Rank Year Rating Top Album Top Song
1 1997 8.60 Radiohead - OK Computer The Beta Band - Dry The Rain
2 1967 8.48 Love - Forever Changes Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazlewood - Some Velvet Morning
3 2013 8.29 Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Push the Sky Away Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Jubilee Street
4 1976 7.47 David Bowie - Station to Station Bob Dylan - Hurricane
5 1986 7.42 Talk Talk - The Colour of Spring New Order - Bizarre Love Triangle
6 2009 7.10 Fever Ray - Fever Ray Animal Collective - My Girls
Premise

Rate the music of the year out of ten, based on the albums, singles, gigs, whatever that stand out for you that year. Non-musical nostalgia is welcome in the thread but that’s beside the point of the poll.

Everyone may nominate one album and one song from the year which will then be collated into side-polls on the final day of the thread (in one week) - please make it clear when you post a nomination for the poll, e.g

Nominate Album: Artist - Title
Nominate Song: Artist - Title

Otherwise feel free to just spam the thread with chat about as much music from the year as you like.

I’ve ensured we touched on all 6 decades that will be covered in this series in the opening threads, but from now on it’s fully random draws for the rest of the year, where I’ll only re-draw if we get the same decade two threads in a row. Today’s draw gives us 1974.

It was the year when Richard Nixon became the first US President to resign from office following the Watergate scandal, Muhammad Ali won the Rumble in the Jungle in Kinshasa, Stephen King published his debut novel Carrie and the Sears Tower in Chicago was completed to become the world’s tallest building for the next 25 years.

We said goodbye to Oskar Schindler, Duke Ellington, Nick Drake and Cass Elliot, and hello to Leonardo Di Caprio, Penelope Cruz, Olivia Colman and Alanis Morisette.

How good was the music?

0 voters

(Poll open until Tuesday 8th Feb, album and song polls will go up Monday 7th based on your nominations)

Some lists for inspiration:

4 Likes

Not nominations yet, but some favourites from 1974…

Brian Eno – Here Come the Warm Jets

7 Likes

Richard & Linda Thompson – I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight

3 Likes

Robert Wyatt – Rock Bottom

6 Likes

John Cale – Fear

5 Likes

Shuggie Otis – Inspiration Information

3 Likes

Can – Soon Over Babaluma

4 Likes

Cluster – Zuckerzeit

8 Likes

Jorge Ben – A Tabua de Esmerelda

2 Likes

NOMINATE ALBUM: GRAM PARSONS - GREVIOUS ANGEL

I love this record so much.

10 Likes

Bit of a funny one for my tastes, this. A little late for soul/reggae etc and a little early for punk.

1 Like

Nominate Album: Neil Young - On the Beach

One of my favourite albums ever. Not a duff note.

28 Likes

Nominate song: Gil Scott-Heron - The Bottle

9 Likes

Other quality albums that year

Sparks - Kimono My House
Zappa - Apostrophe
Steely Dan - Pretzel Logic

Looking forward to diving into stuff I don’t know

4 Likes

What a track - that’s one of my votes decided already!

1 Like

IN MY HOUR OF DAAAARKNESS, IN MY TIME OF NEEEEEEEED

• me, anytime anyone puts this record on after I’ve had a drink
1 Like
1 Like

Also me at work in about half an hour (I’ve just put the album on)

1 Like

Keith Hudson - Flesh Of My Skin

Dadawah - Peace And Love

Kraftwerk - Autobahn

Struggling a bit after these tbh! Looking forward to some good recs in this thread

4 Likes

Nomination is going to be tough on this one - hopefully a few potentials will get picked by someone else.

Reckon I have a really strong list of 20 or so albums from 74 I love.