How Good Was The Year (in music) - 1974?

Just the fact that Sparks released ‘Kimono My House’ and ‘Propaganda’ in this year makes it a 10.

Then you’ve got all this…

Gene Clark - No Other
Bowie - Diamond Dogs
T-Rex - Tanx
Roxy Music - Country Life
Cockney Rebel - The Psychomodo
Eno - Taking Tiger Mountain
John Cale - Fear
David Essex - S/T
Neil Young - On The Beach
Stevie Wonder - FFF
Kraftwerk - Autobahn
Tangerine Dream - Pheadra
Can - Soon Over Babaluma
Cluster - Zuckerzeit
Peter Hammill - In Camera
Steely Dan - Pretzel Logic

then singles wise…

Dolly Parton - Jolene
Abba - Waterloo
George McCrae - Rock Your Baby
Alvin Stardust - My Coo Coo Choo
Hot Chocolate - Emma

too much to list but a straight 10. gonna have to think long and hard about nominations.

5 Likes

This is a good un:

11 Likes

Here’s another of my greatest hits playlists :slight_smile:

Some strange things in the chart back then. What about this #31 hit in January?

I might need to make this my nomination for best single though

My music listening doesn’t generally extend back this far, but I can’t not nominate this one:

ALBUM NOMINATION: Joni Mitchell – Court & Spark

The Miles of Aisles live album from the same year also has some gems, particularly this version of Woodstock:

6 Likes

1973 innit (I know because I was going to nominate it and looked it up to make sure!)

1 Like

This is a year in which I really don’t have a lot of knowledge, barely need two hands to count the albums I’ve heard in full. I’ll need a few days of research before I nominate anything!

A lot of great shouts already.

1 Like

Don’t really know much from this year, but I’m going to nominate this:

I think The Bronx would do a good cover of it

3 Likes

Nominate album: Big Star - Radio City

The year I was born too!

12 Likes

Only heard the original of this recently, which seems a shame as it’s clearly a great record which gained nothing through the high-profile covers.

2 Likes

I’m absolutely here for Tom’s voice in all its permutations but it’s nice to be reminded of how sweet it could be too

8 Likes

Lush bit of Philly Soul with a glorious long refrain

2 Likes

This one’s a less well-known Brazilian gem from 74

Ivan Lins - Modo Livre

1 Like
3 Likes

Album Nomination: Curtis Mayfield - Sweet Exorcist

Any year Curtis releases an album, I’m nominating it. I feel as if a lot of people don’t venture beyond Superfly, but they should because he has some superb albums after this.

Song Nomination: Average White Band - Pick Up The Pieces

5 white Scottish dude making one of the funkiest songs of all time. I remember watching a Soul doc a couple of years ago and someone mentioned how they’d see them at gigs and have no idea it was a bunch of Scottish dudes and how they assumed the name was ironic. Such a good song.

5 Likes

Deeply unpopular prog alert: ‘The Gates of Delirium’ studio version here suffers from a murky mix in the ‘battle’ section but the live version on the ‘Yesshows’ album is absofuckinglutely stonking. ‘Sound Chaser’ is where Patrick Moraz got to run riot on keyboard textures and solos in 13/8 tempos. ‘To Be Over’ is just subline and features some of Steve Howe’s best guitar work.

4 Likes

Nominate album: Minnie Riperton - Perfect Angel

One of my all-time favourite artists and albums. That incredible voice. Such a beautiful album crossing soul, pop and rock. Stevie Wonder on production duties (under the pseudonym El Toro Negro to avoid any Motown contractual issues!)

6 Likes

I agree about there being some real gems post-‘Curtis’ (75’s ‘There’s no place like America Today’ is my fave Curtis album) but got to admit this one has slipped by me. I’ll give it a spin later today.

1 Like

I’ve recently posted it in the Nina Simone thread but I have to post it again, a belter

3 Likes

Some Belgian Jazz-Funk from Placebo (not that one)

2 Likes

God I’ve probably heard that a thousand times - must have been used in so many films and tv shows - but never knew who it was by. For some reason I thought it was Ian Dury, something about the music just makes me think his vocals will kick in at some point.