How Good Was The Year (in music) - 1979?

Nominate song.

Bauhaus - Bela Lugosi’s Dead

Ah, 1979. The year where music finally starts to get interesting.

9 Likes

their best one

1 Like

Amazing record. One of my votes will be for this.

2 Likes

I can’t decide between The Raincoats and The Slits for my album nomination - two of my all-time favourites. I’ll need some time to ponder; if anybody were to nominate one or the other in the meantime, I wouldn’t be offended.

2 Likes

Live at the Witch Trials is my favorite The Fall album, but I can’t get into Dragnet.

Witch Trials is quite an accessible one I’d say but if I listen to it too much I start to find it a bit grating.

I prefer Dragnet but it’s definitely more difficult, particularly with it being so lo-fi. Birth of the classic lineup though, drummer aside (the drums are a bit crap on it tbf, especially coming after Karl Burns)

In 1979 I was mostly listening to The Police

2 Likes

Witch Trials is certainly pretty accessible, songwriting and recording/production-wise. I’ve never paid any attention to the lineup changes, after all I only started listening to them in the late 00s, and after that first year only sparingly until 10 years later when I jumped back in with both feet. I do love the drum sound on Witch Trials. Maybe I can get around to revisiting Dragnet in the next week or so.

1 Like

I only started listening to them in earnest in the early 2010s when the lineup was fairly stable but I got exceptionally nerdy about them so I have tons of useless information about who plays on what album (I’m a bit hazier on the mid 90s to early 00s though)

1 Like

Album nomination: Elvis Costello And The Attractions - Armed Forces

4 Likes
4 Likes

Nominate album Stiff Little Fingers ‘Inflammable Material’

4 Likes

Yes!!

2 Likes

I’d never heard this before! holy shit, I love it! :smiling_face_with_tear:

3 Likes

oh wow!

Movin’ Right Along is another classic from the original Muppet Movie.

1 Like

My Muppet knowledge begins and ends with Christmas Carol really, which I do love but never gone beyond it, this is making me think of cosmic Americana stuff like Mercury Rev, it’s sad and dreamy, totally unexpected. Delightful. I’m now watching every version of it I can find on Youtube…ooh there’s one with Debbie Harry

3 Likes

Talking of Debbie…

Song nomination

Dreaming by Blondie

I wanted to nominate Silly Games, or Disorder by Joy Division, or Storms by Fleetwood Mac, or now Rainbow Connection but I’m going for this because I’ve loved it for as long as I can remember, for the defiance in Debbie’s vocal, beautiful melody and also Clem’s drumming, the way the verses are hemmed in by tight rolls and then he opens out and makes a break for it on the chorus and the outro, look at him sweating right through his suit, it’s exhilarating.

3 Likes

One of the nice things about these threads is rediscovering random albums you’d completely forgotten about. Been listening to this John Barry soundtrack this morning.

2 Likes

Revisited this today, this is one of my favorites from them all around. Bring On the Night too.

3 Likes

Revisiting The Specials today, only album of theirs I ever heard and played it quite a bit in my early 20s. Not sure if I knew it in my teens. Never listened to a lot of this type of stuff, still a fun album but it’s lost some of its appeal for me. Things happen. Curious about their second album though, heard a song from it in the last year or so that I like. Think from somewhere on DiS.

3 Likes