How Good Was The Year (in music) - 1985?

8 Likes

Nominate

8 Likes

The mid-80s personified.

9 Likes
3 Likes

What a video!

7 Likes

Obligatory

1 Like
  1. Rites of Spring - S/T + song: Drink Deep
  2. The Cure - The Head on the door
  3. JAMC - Psychocandy
  4. The Wake - Here comes everybody
  5. The Long Ryders - State of our union
5 Likes
13 Likes
2 Likes

nominate song: - Dexys Midnight Runners - This Is What She’s Like

4 Likes

Saturday detention?

7 Likes

dont think i care much about a lot of what was released this year. theres stuff for sure but the net doesnt seem to be cast as wide.

Was just going to suggest this and the Don’t Stand Me Down album it is from. That track in particular. I hadn’t heard it until a few months ago after buying the album from a charity shop. I became almost immediately obsessed with that song, such an incredible piece of work. The video to it is great too.

1 Like

Nominate Song - The Sun Always Shines On TV by a-ha (it’s what 8 year old me would have nominated and who am I to argue?)

7 Likes

I can’t remember which thread it was but i remember you posting about it a while back and we had a big chat. It’s my all-time favourite song so I didn’t think twice about nominating it. Was thinking about nominating ‘Don’t Stand Me Down’ too. It might well be my favourite from '85 but there’s tons of great albums to consider so if you’re dead set on nominating it go ahead, it’ll certainly have my vote :+1:t3:

1 Like

I remember the chat. I think it’s in a vinyl thread as I bought the album purely because it was cheap. I got bored, stuck it on and was holy shit… then that song played. The video if anything, enhances it, videos do not really matter but they nail it and it is a song I love so much now.

1 Like

Track Nomination: ZZ Top – Rough Boy

also one of the all time great weird music videos.

1 Like

Album Nomination: Sade – Promise

3 Likes

yeah I had to post the video and not just the track. makes me tear up every single time.

1 Like

any other year and this would have got nominated…

‘Oh Yeah’ was the bigger hit but this was Yello’s best record of '85.