How Good Was The Year (in music) - 1986?

Leaderboard:

Rank Year Rating Top Album Top Song
1 1997 8.60 Radiohead - OK Computer The Beta Band - Dry The Rain
2 1967 8.48 Love - Forever Changes Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazlewood - Some Velvet Morning
3 1976 7.47 David Bowie - Station to Station Bob Dylan - Hurricane
4 2009 7.10 Fever Ray - Fever Ray Animal Collective - My Girls
Premise

Rate the music of the year out of ten, based on the albums, singles, gigs, whatever that stand out for you that year. Non-musical nostalgia is welcome in the thread but that’s beside the point of the poll.

Everyone may nominate one album and one song from the year which will then be collated into side-polls on the final day of the thread (in one week) - please make it clear when you post a nomination for the poll, e.g

Nominate Album: Artist - Title
Nominate Song: Artist - Title

Otherwise feel free to just spam the thread with chat about as much music from the year as you like.

This week we leap (starting to think of this as Quantum Leap) twenty-three years back in time to 1986.

It was the year of the Chernobyl, Challenger and Chinook disasters, the first child was born to a surrogate mother and Diego Armando Maradona single-handedly won the football World Cup for Argentina in Mexico.

We said goodbye to Cary Grant, Phil Lynott, L Ron Hubbard and Simone de Beauvoir and hello to Lady Gaga, Drake, Usain Bolt and the Olsen twins.

How good was the music?

0 voters

2 Likes

Links for inspiration.

Interesting year, a quick google and its a real blind spot for me. Looking forward to digging in.

36 years ago.

strong start for singles for me

4 Likes

23 back from 2009

1 Like

ah, apologies.

10 Likes

Anyway.

You ain’t topping this for a start.

Consider this a nomination.

Slayer - Reign In Blood

8 Likes

Nominate album: Metallica – Master Of Puppets

7 Likes
5 Likes

Also from the Def Jam stable.

4 Likes

This is too hard

Far too many great records released in 1986 to be able to pick just one album & one single

2 Likes

Not too shabby either.

500x500

5 Likes
8 Likes

5 Likes

I was only 4 this year so whilst a lot of the music is familiar, it doesn’t have a nostalgia per se. But wow, there were a lot of great tunes kicking about at the time.

4 Likes

Jack, jack, ja jack jack your body
Jack ya, jack, jack ya, jack your body
Jack, jack, ja ja jack your body
Jack, jack, ja ja jack your body
Jack, jack, ja ja jack your body.

Jack

4 Likes