How Good Was The Year (in music) - 1990?

nominate album: ice cube - amerikkka’s most wanted

some good 1990 rap joints

6 Likes

People who were around and buying music in 1990: what genre did you call bands like Stone Roses, House of Love, Pixies, The Sundays etc?

Indie? Post Punk? Was it even considered alternative then or just rock and pop? Underground pop?

Good year for fun singles

Doin’ the Do
Groove is in the Heart
My Definition of a Boombastic Jazz Style/Wash Your Face in My Sink
Can I Kick It
Peachfuzz

2 Likes

Just indie I’d say.

Edit - like all of those artists and anything vaguely similar would be on the ‘indie charts’ on The Chart Show

5 Likes

Oh yeah, Spinning Away is absolutely gorgeous.

Cordoba too, think it’s my favourite thing Cale has ever been involved with. I think the songs genesis is really interesting with Eno arranging the short English sentences from a Spanish phrasebook to read like an unfolding mystery

Cale had a busy 1990 with Songs For Drella out too, love this song

3 Likes

The first Enigma album was 1990. Starting what was the only artist my parents bought the albums of consistently that decade. Sex music wunnit

1 Like
3 Likes

I listened to the second House of Love album today for the first time and liked it. Never actually heard them before.

1 Like

1990 much like 92 actually slips down the cracks a little for me in comparison to 89 and the rest of the 90’s, this is despite it being right at the pinch point of my nearly teens. I was thoroughly enjoying the likes of Cud, Carter, Charlatans and similar bands that didn’t begin with C at the time, but very little I love or would listen to in retrospect.

nonetheless gotta nominate one of the best fugazi albums - Fugazi - Repeater.

Also gotta at least mention New Fads - Pigeonhole, for having a particularly unique charm and for the remix track by John Da Silva - Big (Baka) being the first track that I remember opening my adolescent eyes to there being music beyond the standard guitar bands.

3 Likes

MTV’s 120 Minutes was in full swing and I recall “alternative” being the buzz word at the time. Not saying indie wasn’t also used though.

1 Like

The frontman of the New FADs used to live near me, he was a primary school teacher.

1 Like

No one screams like Kat:

Biafra & Jourgensen are a great combo, shame it was a one-off:

More Jourgensen. Better than the original:

Strangely moving song about being reincarnated as a bag of groceries:

I remember after The South Bank Show film featuring Sonic Youth and Zorn, people were saying “who the fuck is John Zorn?” Then a year later Naked City came out:

Didn’t discover this until years later, but what a tune:

The single dropped in '89, but the album came out in 1990, which is when I heard it. Could easily be about one of my former landlords:

6 Likes

RIP Shock G

3 Likes

Based on what my favourite song was at the time then this banger

(it was released in 1990 in the UK)

7 Likes

Round my way, Indie would have been Stone Roses, Ride, etc and “alternative” would be the likes of Skinny Puppy or Killing Joke

1 Like

Nominate Song: The Cure - Pictures of You

7 Likes

I’ve gone too early again with my nominations. I really hope someone nominates Mazzy Star ‘She Hangs Brightly’, Codeine ‘Frigid Stars’ and Galaxie 500 ‘This is our Music’. I could have gone with the Chills ‘Submarine Bells’ or ‘Vehicle’ by the Clean for my album nomination. I may change my song nomination to below:

1 Like

Album Nomination

Blue Aeroplanes - Swagger

Close 2nds

Sundays - Reading, Writing & Arithmetic
Galaxie 500 - This is Our Music
Mazzy Star - She Hangs Brightly

Song… that’s gonna take a lot longer to figure out

2 Likes

Another honourable mention for KLF’s ‘Chill Out’. This album has got me through some rough times with insomnia and tinnitus. My wife wisely describes it as our generation’s ‘Dark Side of the Moon’.

4 Likes

Ok, metal was insane in 1990 :open_mouth:

Anthrax - Persistance of Time
Judas Priest - Painkiller
Megadeth - Rust in Peace
Napalm Death - Harmony Corruption
Obituary - Cause of Death
Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss
Suicidal Tendencies - Lights…Camera…Revolution

I mean :open_mouth:

8 Likes