How Good Was The Year (in music) - 1991?

A ridiculously good year.

Nominate album American Music Club - Everclear

Nominate song Velvet Crush - Ash and Earth

1 Like

My nomination? Oh, only one of the greatest hip hop albums of all time…

Album Nomination: A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory

Do I really need to say why this is good at this point?

16 Likes

Nominate Track: The Jesus Lizard - Mouth Breather

I’m really late to the game with Jesus Lizard but I’m making up for lost time and can’t get enough. Hugely inspirational band, Mouth Breather is probably the hit isn’t it? Ties in nicely to my album nomination as well.

10 Likes

Nominate album: Talk Talk - Laughing Stock

13 Likes

Good shout. Ties in nicely with Slint too as I think Britt Walford is the mouth breather in question if I remember correctly from the documentary?

Quite right. “Don’t get me wrong, he’s a nice guy and I like him just fine… but he is a mouth breather!”

Another big year. Some amazing albums already mentioned. Still got a lot of time for these:

Swervedriver – Raise
Ned’s Atomic Dustbin – God Fodder
U2 – Achtung Baby
Chapterhouse – Whirlpool
Jawbox – Grippe
Main Source – Breaking Atoms
Cypress Hill – Cypress Hill
Pixies – Trompe Le Monde

3 Likes

My favourite ever year for music (I was 14) and a guaranteed 10/10 when the vote comes.

Some of my favourite singles of all time were hits this year, but weirdly all were re-releases:

So won’t nominate any of them here in case of pedantry

@thesewoodenideas has already covered a lot of the best albums but I’ll chuck this in as my album nomination

and my single nomination is this classic from Carter USM that I fully expect nobody to vote for :smiley:

6 Likes

And forgot these great tracks that actually were released in 1991!

4 Likes

Man, forgot God Fodder was released in 1991 and not 1990. I should probably change my nom to that, but if someone else does then a guaranteed vote from me!

2 Likes

Aye, cracking year. Lots of top, top albums already mentioned above, and then there’s also at least:

Massive Attack - Blue Lines
MC Solaar - Qui Semme Le Vent Recolte Le Tempo
Cypress Hill - s/t

… quite tempted to go early and nominate one of the above, but will hold off for a bit and do a little digging first. Realistically two of my three votes are already devoted to albums already mentioned, barring something long forgotten cropping up (or something entirely new from the crew).

Such a good year!
MT

3 Likes

Blue Lines, another in my top 10 albums of all time. Man…

1 Like

Yeah, I can foresee already that voting is going to be tough on this one! So much to choose from! (Assuming Blue Lines does actually get nominated!)

Yes, or it’ll be really easy if people only nominate albums I didn’t like :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nominate Orbital. Green album.

6 Likes

Fuck it.

Nominate Album:

An album so good that even the first track being shite cant hold it back.

5 Likes

Quare year for these bunch of lads.

4 Likes

purple patch

1 Like

1991: The Year That Eddie Vedder and Chris Cornell and chums had a good ol time

2 Likes

Nominate Song

PJ Harvey - Dress

13 Likes