How Good Was The Year (in music) - 1997?

Welcome to the inaugural How Good Was The Year thread!

This is a music board series, so the ask is to rate the music of the year out of ten, based on the albums, singles, gigs, whatever that stand out for you that year. I hope we can have nostalgia in the thread that goes beyond the music, but that’s beside the point of the poll.

Before the rating poll closes I’ll run an album and a single poll based on your nominations. Everyone can nominate one album and one song from the year for the poll - please make it clear when you post, e.g

Nominate Album: Artist - Title
Nominate Song: Artist - Title

I’ll play it by ear, might add a few big hitters if they don’t get nominated or nominations are low but if we get the numbers I’d prefer the poll to be your suggestions.

Otherwise feel free to just spam the thread with chat about as much music from the year as you like.

We’ll cover 1960 to the present, and I’ll try to change decades between each thread but otherwise it will be randomly decided.

Anyway, we begin 24 years ago in the year of my first gig - 1997.

1997 was the year we said goodbye to Princess Diana, Mother Teresa, The Notorious B.I.G., Jeff Buckley, and the members of the Heaven’s Gate cult, and said hello to Marcus Rashford, Kylie Jenner, Max Verstappen, Maisie Williams, The Teletubbies and Harry Potter.

Dolly the cloned sheep was revealed to the world, Tony Blair led the first (New) Labour government in the UK since 1979, Hong Kong was handed over from the UK to China and Mike Tyson bit off part of Evander Holyfield’s ear in the boxing ring.

But how good was the music?

0 voters

Some lists for inspiration!

Best albums of 1997 - Rate Your Music
Best Albums of 1997 : Best Ever Albums
Official Top 40 best-selling singles of 1997

3 Likes

Nominate Album: Buena Vista Social Club - Buena Vista Social Club

I didn’t listen to this album until much later than 1997, but as soon as I heard it for the first time I was completely in love with it. So evocative of a time and place that probably wasn’t half as romantic as it sounds on record but the music is so utterly sublime that I don’t care if it is authentic or not.

Nominate Song: Rammstein - Du Hast

This was the song that would always be guaranteed to get me and all my friends on the dance floor every single time at the only nightclub we could get into when we were 15, the local rock club. There might be other songs from the year that are better than this but there aren’t any which recall for me as many fond memories of the time.

4 Likes

Wouldn’t fly today but the prodigy were on such top form in 1997

6 Likes

some obscure UK band released an album called Ok Computer, don’t know if anyone here has heard of it

12 Likes

Yeah this was my first ever gig, Prodigy with Foo Fighters supporting at the SECC in Glasgow, Dec '97. I travelled to Glasgow to buy the tickets with my friends on the day Diana died, remember hearing it on the radio over breakfast before going for the train.

At the gig, I didn’t understand the concept of support acts and didn’t know the Foo Fighters so I thought they were the Prodigy. That was cleared up when the Prodigy actually came on.

5 Likes
8 Likes

This is the Nominate album, btw

2 Likes

Didn’t realise Perfect From Now On, Lonesome Crowded West and Brighten the Corners were all the same year.

A decent year for US indie rock imo

2 Likes

when we did 1997 for Music League i realised lots of my favourites came out in 1996 or 1998.

some big hitters in 1997 though to be fair, i think it was just harder to find obscure 97 picks who hadn’t already come up a lot

Albums released in 1997

Blur - Blur: decent
Be Here Now - Oasis: shite, DYou Know What I Mean is the only song worth listening to on there
OK Computer: decent
Homogenic - Bjork: extremely mixed bag
Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space - Spiritualized: excellent
Aquarium - Aqua: classic
Foo Fighters: meh

Not really enthused by what I know of 97, probably a 5.

1 Like

Off the top of my head there was Young Team, Boatman’s Call, Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space and Vanishing Point, which could be argued as high points for all acts concerned, so that’s pretty good going.

2 Likes

Nominate album: Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space - Spiritualized

Nominate song: come on it has to be

3 Likes

Guided by Voices - Mag Earwhig, and Smog - Red Apple Falls are good 1997 albums imo

no gigs for me because i was 8

1 Like

Under the western freeway, also.

1 Like

Dig Me Out came out in 97. That’s a great album, potentially the definitive early years S-k.

2 Likes

Best Single

Best Album: Either/Or Elliott Smith

11 Likes

Boatman’s Call and Brighten the Corners would also be right up there

1 Like

Really solid year for music.

Some favourite albums:

Bjork - Homogenic
Broadcast - Work and Non Work
Calexico - Spoke
Elliott Smith - Either/Or
Gorky’s - Barafundle
Granddaddy - Under the Western Freeway
Labradford - mi Media Naranja
Mogwai - Young Team (& Ten Rapid)
Movietone - Day and Night
Palace Music - Lost Blues & Other Stories
Pavement - Brighten the Corners
Portishead - S/T
Sleater Kinney - Dig Me Out
Smog - Red Apple Falls
Stereolab - Dots and Loops
VA - Dutch Harbour ost
Will Oldham - Joya
Wu Tang Clan - Wu Tang Forever

5 Likes

pretty decent year for hiphop, some good blockbuster releases and some underground classics

probs go a 7 on 10

5 Likes