How Good Was The Year (in music) - 2001?

This might be the toughest one yet.

3 Likes

A few great albums but for me it’s the beginning of the new millennial slump. Lots of snooze albums for the next few years.

1 Like

And what are those few great albums, sir?

Mogwai, SFA, Nick Cave, Tool. I’m sure there’s a few others, but not that list.

1 Like

2001 sneaks into the top ten in joint 10th with 2004 with 8.1.

DiS users’ favourite albums of 2001 were:
:1st_place_medal: The Strokes - Is This It
:2nd_place_medal: Radiohead - Amnesiac
:3rd_place_medal: Björk - Vespertine :3rd_place_medal: Low - Things We Lost in the Fire :3rd_place_medal: Fugazi - The Argument :3rd_place_medal: Mogwai - Rock Action

and our songs of 2001 were:
:1st_place_medal: Roots Manuva - Witness (1 Hope) :1st_place_medal: Mogwai - My Father My King
:3rd_place_medal: The Avalanches - Since I Left You

Enjoyed this thread a lot, thanks to everyone for your contributions. Think I’m going to have to listen to the Mogwai album, I had the albums either side of it but never listened to this (or My Father My King which looks like it’s not even on that album).

We’ll be in even more recent territory when I put the next thread up later on.

10 Likes

Wow The Strokes really took it home with 5 votes above the next. Never heard it, or the Mogwai one.

Was never all that fussed about The Strokes album but the Mogwai one is a masterpiece. I’d put it at their 2nd best behind CODY (at least), but it’s maybe the second-for-second most perfect thing they’ve ever done. Feels like being trapped in and sorting your way through a surreal dream.

2 Likes

I think I’ve only ever heard one Mogwai album, Come On Die Young. I don’t remember what it sounds like even though I’ve listened a few times. It’s been a long time.

Try Happy Music for Happy People. It’s got a nice Disintegration feeling in places.

I was meaning to revisit this Oneida album after @Keith mentioned it in the Song of the Day thread a few weeks back. It’s better than I had given it credit for in the past. Maybe it’s just the closing 12-minute track that put me off a bit last time I played it. Bumping my overall rating a point though.

2 Likes