How Good Was The Year (in music) - 2002?

If not for Beth Gibbons & Rustin Man, I’d have gone with Johnny Cash’s remarkable The Man Comes Around. These late American Recordings albums with Rick Rubin are all great but this 4th one, the last one to be released before he died in 2003, is the pinnacle, imo.

His cover versions of Hurt and Personal Jesus are on this one, the original Johnny Cash title track and his Grammy winning new recording of Give My Love To Rose are brilliant too. For me, the best is I Hung My Head which takes Sting’s wild west storytelling original (for me, pretty forgettable) and gives it the Johnny Cash treatment so it becomes this heartbreaking tale of a tragic accident and facing the consequences.

4 Likes

Album nomination: El-P - Fantastic Damage

El-P at the top of his game. As much as I love RTJ, El’s solo stuff will always mean the most to me. Def Jux changed what I thought about hip hop and this and The Cold Vein are at the very peak.

Whilst we’re here…

Song Nomination: El-P - Deep Space 9mm

Perfect song. Perfect video.

6 Likes

Thanks for the flurry of nominations. Last call for any before I make the polls tomorrow.

Some big albums not nominated yet:

1 Like

Think my three albums I will vote for are already picked, but will also nominate Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It In People

And my song nomination: The Notwist - Consequence

3 Likes

Another for the song poll please.

Nominate song: Idlewild - A Modern Way of Letting Go

If you’re going to take a step towards a more mainstream sound then may as well do it with a rocket of a tune like this.

4 Likes

Polls open until (at least) Wednesday evening.

DiS’s Favourite Albums of 2002 (can choose up to 3)

• Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf
  • Boards of Canada - Geogaddi
  • Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
  • Glassjaw - Worship and Tribute
  • Cornershop - Handcream for a Generation
  • mclusky - do dallas
  • Pedro the Lion - Control
  • The Delgados - Hate
  • Outhud - S. T. R. E. E. T. D. A.D.
  • Sigur Ros - ( )
  • The Notwist - Neon Golden
  • The Eighties Matchbox B-Line Disaster - Hörse Of The Dög
  • …And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead - Source Tags & Codes
  • Idlewild - The Remote Part
  • Biffy Clyro - Blackened Sky.
  • THE CORAL-THE CORAL
  • Interpol - Turn On The Bright Lights
  • The Mendoza Line - Lost in Revelry
  • The Streets - Original Pirate Material
  • Cooper Temple Clause - See This Through and Leave
  • Counting Crows - Hard Candy
  • Isis - Oceanic
  • Doves - The Last Broadcast
  • Sparks - L’il Beethoven
  • Primal Scream — Evil Heat
  • Sleater-Kinney - One Beat
  • Beth Gibbons & Rustin Man - Out of Season
  • El-P - Fantastic Damage
  • Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It In People

0 voters

DiS’s Favourite Songs of 2002 (can choose up to 3)

• The Streets - Turn The Page
  • Clipse - Grindin’
  • Low - (That’s How You Sing) Amazing Grace
  • Audioslave - Shadow on the Sun
  • 03 BONNIE & CLYDE - JAY Z & BEYONCE
  • Sleater Kinney - Sympathy
  • Broken Social Scene - Anthems for a Seventeen Year Old Girl
  • LCD Soundsystem - Losing My Edge
  • The Knife - Heartbeats
  • Counting Crows - Up All Night (Frankie Miller Goes to Hollywood)
  • The Streets - It’s Too Late
  • Keith Fullerton Whitman - Modena
  • Aaliyah - More than a Woman
  • Kylie — Can’t Get You Outta My Head
  • Doves - There Goes The Fear
  • Songs:Ohia - Blue Chicago Moon
  • Hot Snakes - XOX
  • Clinic - Walking With Thee
  • Ekkehard Ehlers Plays John Cassavetes 2
  • Sonic Youth – The Empty Page
  • El-P - Deep Space 9mm
  • The Notwist - Consequence
  • Idlewild - A Modern Way of Letting Go

0 voters

Overall rating (out of 10) for 2002

0 voters

Wow, just picking three from that album selection was TOUGH

2 Likes

Man, it’s a crime that Yoshimi isn’t on there.

1 Like

Been going back over some old stuff since this thread (& The Strokes thread) - my 2001 to 2005 playlists in particular and, I suspect I’m just getting old but ‘pop’ music just seems so different now to how it was then. Felt like the last time people rallied round similar things, everything is just so disparate now. Like, I’m not sure that Sufjan, or The Strokes, or something like Madvillainy, would get anywhere near that kind of traction if they came out now.

I’m all for progress, but makes me a bit sad. Not sure what the ‘landmark’ records have been recently. Have there been any?

I’ve been having a little look through my 2002 diary to see what gigs I went to. This wasn’t a big gig-going year for me, I was in Sheffield and most of my Uni friends had moved away after graduating and I didn’t really have new gig-going buddies in town. Still some good uns on my calendar though. The highlight was probably Flaming Lips on the Yoshimi tour supported by Bob Mould at the Leadmill.

Trail of Dead and 80s Matchbox, both at the Leadmill, I remember being good uns. And I went to the NME Tour at The Foundry, (The Coral, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Lostprophets, Andrew WK) and my main memory is having an absolute blast down the front partying hard when Andrew WK was on.

Also, Jon Spencer Blues Explosion and The Vines at the Leadmill were good. I also went to Leeds festival, which was the year of the Guns n Roses late late shitshow, and I have very hazy memories of that weekend.

2 Likes

Can’t imagine seeing the Lips in the Leadmill, were they doing things like the big inflatable ball on that tour?

1 Like

Not the Zorb ball that he’d get in and go out into the crowd but there were big balls on stage - glitterballs I think though my memory’s hazy, and possibly a giant balloon getting batted around the crowd, and the dressing up in animal costumes thing. I remember it being quite a spectacle though, in stark contrast to Bob Mould who was absolutely solo, just him, a guitar and a speaker stack either side of him.

1 Like

In terms of gig going my 2002 was very nu-metally but that came to a fairly abrupt end towards the latter part of the year.

3 Likes

Some headliners for Ozzfest anyway

1 Like

I was there at the Leadmill for Bob Mould/Flaming Lips - it was a great gig.

1 Like

It was. Do you remember any more about it than I managed to dredge up from my dodgy memory?

I’d seen the Flaming Lips before at the Leadmill (with Sonic Boom’s Spectrum) and the two gigs tend to blur. My abiding memory was seeing the transformation of Bob Mould. The last time I had seen him was with Sugar and he slightly portly and balding whereas at the Leadmill it was clear that he’d really got into working out. He also played a great Husker Du medley including my personal favourite ‘Celebrated Summer’.

1 Like

Yeah, I saw Flaming Lips with Mercury Rev at the Octagon 2 or 3 years prior to this, and I’m not entirely confident which details belong to which gig.

I didn’t know Bob Mould was the support beforehand, not sure why I didn’t. But it was therefore a lovely surprise and I remember exclaiming ‘fucking hell, it’s Bob Mould’ too loudly when he came on, to the amusement of those around me.

3 Likes

2002 scores 8.06, placing it just inside the joint 12th out of 30.

DiS users’ favourite albums of 2002 were:
:1st_place_medal: Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights
:2nd_place_medal: Boards of Canada - Geogaddi
:3rd_place_medal: Sigur Ros - ()

and our songs of 2002 were:
:1st_place_medal: LCD Soundsystem - Losing My Edge
:2nd_place_medal: The Knife - Heartbeats
:3rd_place_medal: Doves - There Goes The Fear

Thanks all for your input. Next thread to follow soon…

7 Likes