How Good Was The Year (in music) - 2007?

Love the version of Salka on there

1 Like

And also in 2007, Tunng did this (Good Arrows). Too good!

Just love that male/female duo gentle lyric thing they got going here …

3 Likes

gonna steal this to nominate song: Aesop Rock - None Shall Pass

endlessly repayable, earworm little vocal samples and beat

Flash that buttery gold, jittery zeitgeist
Wither by the watering hole, what a patrol

5 Likes

Just gunna echo this nomination

5 Likes

One of the few songs that I remember just starting again the first time I heard it.

1 Like

Hi @Octobadger . Sorry, but I didn’t mean Hvarf/Heim as an album nomination. I’d hope that I’m not the kind of miscreant that doesn’t clearly label their nominations, but just wanted to mention a couple of Sigur Ros recordings released that year that were a little bit special for me.

If you would like an album nomination from me (going by this recent thread absolutely no-one will) then I’ll put forward…

Nominate album: Streetlight Manifesto - Somewhere in the Between

If anyone needs me I’ll be sitting on my own over at table 10.

2 Likes

I’m a bit of a Rob Crow fanboy, and the man was quite busy in 2007 (or the years leading up to it), with 3 releases by different projects including a solo album.

The most well-known one, of course, is Pinback, though I think their popularity dipped after their first 3 albums (this being the 4th). For me, Autumn of the Seraphs was just a strong as the first 3 even if it had just slightly slicker production. Rob knows how to write a melody. Never cared for the cover art though.

A new group called Other Men also emerged with the album Wake Up Swimming, although it’s basically the reincarnation of one of Rob’s first groups, Heavy Vegetable, minus one member Elea Tenuta who contributed vocals (as well as in another Rob group, Thingy). I really like the sound of this group (and those other two), they’re basically a math rock version of Pinback, but less frantic than his collab with Zach Hill as The Ladies the year before. Really fun album.

Then there was Rob’s solo album Living Well (his 4th solo), which actually was his first release of 2007 in January. A more stripped down sound than his band albums. Lots of great mid-tempo, melodic west coast indie rock.

3 Likes

Any Depeche Mode fans need to listen to kent’s 7th album Tillbaka Till Samtiden from that year, think it still holds as my favourite from '07. Frames by Oceansize maybe 2nd.

Consider this thread now an excuse for me to revisit arguably my most nostalgic (and favourite) year of my life. GONNA BATH IN IT

2 Likes

Bumblebeez! Now thats a name I haven’t heard for a while. They were being heavily hyped for a while there then just vanished. I remember really liking Ride A Pony though I think that was from an earlier EP.

1 Like

Still mulling it over, but looks like I’ll probably nominate ‘Other Men’. Great record!

1 Like

I think they might have run out of steam now, at least I’ve not paid much attention since Rip Tide, but hey, Beirut were great! My pals really fell for them, harder than I did, Flying Club Cup and the EP’s they put out in 2007 still sound vibrant and romantic to me. You could say all their songs sound much the same, and that would be fair enough.

I’m a bit of a slave to the accordion

My absolute favourite!

always wondered what the sample of dialogue from Nantes was from but it’s taken 15 years for me to bother typing it into a search bar

I don’t think they ever recorded this one, I think it’s from 2007 too, if anyone knows if it has turned up let me know. Two of my friends got married to it, lovely it was

7 Likes

doo doo doo doo doo do do do dooooooooooooooo

Not linking to the official video because it’s horrible.

2 Likes

Listening to the album now, what a perfect song

7 Likes

was staying in a rented apartment on carrer de lancaster in barcelona with a few pals for sonar, 2010 and one of them woke me up saying didn’t this sound like beirut? listened and looked out the window at window/ balcony? person across the street, “that is beirut”. played ‘dream a little dream of me’, ‘99 red balloons’ and another one.

4 Likes

Just in case anyone doesn’t know and might be interested in something unbelievably beautiful and sad, that Alcest album has no screaming. Give it a shot if the idea of metal vocals (or metal in general) was holding you back.

3 Likes

Think anyone who likes Travel Is Dangerous by Mogwai will like this one.

3 Likes

07 was when i first started posting to dis. 15 years whoa…
i was fresh out of college starting a desk job and figuring out the best way to waste time in corporate america, and dis ended up being that for me.

it was the year when kanye and 50 cent had their album rollout beef and kanye began his ascension to a megastar and 50 cent began his descent into a has-been. surprised graduation hasnt been posted yet. one of my fav ye albums for sure.

6 Likes

get buck still gets me hyped up 15 years on. a top three polow da don production (along with lay it down and throw some d’s) and bucks best hit.

2 Likes

So overlooked. Absolute masters in assembling riffs.