How Good Was The Year (in music) - 2013?

Rank Year Rating Top Album Top Song
1 1997 8.60 Radiohead - OK Computer The Beta Band - Dry The Rain
2 1967 8.48 Love - Forever Changes Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazlewood - Some Velvet Morning
3 1976 7.47 David Bowie - Station to Station Bob Dylan - Hurricane
4 1986 7.42 Talk Talk - The Colour of Spring New Order - Bizarre Love Triangle
5 2009 7.10 Fever Ray - Fever Ray Animal Collective - My Girls
Premise

Rate the music of the year out of ten, based on the albums, singles, gigs, whatever that stand out for you that year. Non-musical nostalgia is welcome in the thread but that’s beside the point of the poll.

Everyone may nominate one album and one song from the year which will then be collated into side-polls on the final day of the thread (in one week) - please make it clear when you post a nomination for the poll, e.g

Nominate Album: Artist - Title
Nominate Song: Artist - Title

Otherwise feel free to just spam the thread with chat about as much music from the year as you like.

This week we cover the only decade in scope for this series we haven’t touched on yet, and our most recent year yet with 2013.

It was the year we learned just how much horse the British public were eating, Oscar Pistorius shot Reeva Steenkamp dead and was convicted of her murder, same sex marriage was legalised under UK law and a meteor struck Russia injuring over 1,000 people. It was the year we said goodbye to Nelson Mandela, Margaret Thatcher (honk), James Gandolfini and James Avery.

How good was the music?

0 voters

(Poll open until Tuesday 1st Feb, album and song polls will go up Monday 31st based on your nominations)

Some lists for inspiration:

There are some albums from this year that I really love, definitely more than any other year that has been covered thus far and therefore I have voted and I’ve voted an 8

1 Like

Yeezus - 10/10 Album
Doris - 8/10 Album
Slow Focus - 8/10 Album
RTJ 1 - 7.5/10 Album
My Name is My Name - 7.5/10 Album
Acid Rap - 7/10 Album
Pure Heroine - 7/10 Album

Trouble Will Find Me - 6/10 Album - Maybe 2013 was the year where I definitively stopped being interested in new guitar band albums even from guitar bands I really love(d)

2 Likes

2 Likes

Oh dear.

What the fuck have we here?

This is one of those years which I thought had a amazing music at the time but there’s only a few albums I return to often Kanye, Waxahatchee, Chance the Rapper so maybe its not an alltimer. Looking forward to digging into the tracks again.

1 Like

Sound of the Summer

5 Likes

Absolutely fucking wild year for me personally. And musically - Yeezus and Nepenthe are my 2 favourite albums from the year and I don’t think you could find two albums more in opposition if you tried.

Yeezus may be a top 5 album for me you know.

I’ll be back.

3 Likes

Modern Vampires of the City was my favourite album of the 2010s - good year!

2 Likes

Quick scan seems like lots to like but maybe not a lot of absolute all timers. Julia Holter easy aoty for me.

This track is a masterpiece

10 Likes

I will take a look and post some albums later but
I nominate this single:

1 Like

What happened??

Just getting my “fuck Kanye” post out the way early.

1 Like

Nothing! I was just amusing myself until Discourse got in the way… It’s just the opening bars of Run The Jewels (the self-titled first song on their self-titled debut album from this year) which I was leading into but Discourse made me pause before hitting a third post in a row so the song comes after collectiverumbling got in with a post!

1 Like

my bad, wasn’t paying attention to the thread as I was typing

No worries, it’s not meant to be one at a time! I learned a valuable lesson about how the forum works.

1 Like