How Good Was The Year (in music) - 2013?

Gotcha - should have picked that up really - thought a post had been deleted or something and I couldn’t work it out as these threads aren’t really known for their controversy! Thought maybe you were trying to spice up the brand!

(not that there’s any need to ofc - these threads are ace)

1 Like

Nominate song

3 Likes

One of those years where the music quality was amazing and I was actually really in sync with everything, just moved to London and was going to loads of gigs and meeting new people, loved a lot. Probably my favourite year musically since during my lifetime for those reasons.

Like cmon, this is outrageous:

Field of Reeds, Light up Gold, Fade, Immunity, Reflektor, Slow Focus, Pearl Mystic (yeah I know), Trouble Will Find Me, Push The Sky Away, m b v, Tomorrow’s Harvest… amazing.

Struggling to think of any truly great albums that year. I probably listened to Low’s ‘Invisible Way’ the most although I did come to love ‘Reflecktor’ but long after the event.

Between Field of Reeds and Light up Gold for ya boy.

1 Like

good year from what i remember

Spent a large part of the year listening to Rolo Tomassi’s Astraea + back catalogue, and they were probably my gig of the year (at Electrowerkz), although it came out Nov 2012 so I’ll save it for the 2012 thread :slight_smile:

It’s incredible – an album where the songs slip by effortlessly, and yet it still feels so weighty. Such a step up from the two previous albums, which are knowing and arch by comparison.

And a wonderful meditation not just on religion and the afterlife, but on time, which is basically the running theme, from the opener to the closer via Hannah dramatic pause Hunt. How time changes as we age, its value in life and death, how it contorts and twists with love and hedonistic excess, and yet how we can never fully master it.

4 Likes

are all these nominated by default? if not, i’ll nominate numbers on the board, can’t have that one missing out

1 Like

No not by default, I’ll add one nomination to each poll the same as anyone else but I’ll call it out when I do (except the '86 thread where I forgot to until I made the poll and added Word Up and Song X).

Those were just a few of the songs I loved that year, there’s another couple I’m mulling over for my nomination.

1 Like

Album:
Laura Marling - Once I Was An Eagle

Track:
Pissed Jeans - Bathroom Laughter

2 Likes

I take this back, there are tons of amazing albums. Can’t believe some of these are almost a decade old. Great year:

Adam Stafford - Imaginary Walls Collapse

Rick Redbeard - No Selfish Heart

Frightened Rabbit - Pedestrian Heart

Eagleowl - This Silent Year

Jetplane Landing - Don’t Try and this pretentious uber-banger

2 Likes

Hell of a lot of good rap came out that year. Danny Brown, Roc Marciano, Run The Jewels & Action Bronson all put albums out that I still listen to regularly. Mac Miller released the album of his that showed that he wasn’t just some dumb frat boy rapper. Prodigy and The Alchemist continued their fruitful relationship with Albert Einstein. There’s another superb album that came out this year too, but may be using that as my nomination.

There’s also a lot of rap that I was big into at the time, but has fallen way down the pecking order. Doris by Earl Sweatshirt is great, but everything he’s done since has massively overshadowed it. Acid Rap is great, but everything he’s done since has been attempts to recapture that magic with mixed to poor results. Because The Internet was ok, but it feels like a transitional album for DG. And Yeezus is one of the most overrated rap albums of all time.

Outside of rap, you’ve got some more stellar releases…

Thundercat - Apocalypse
James Blake - Overgrown
Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience
Mount Kimbie - Cold Spring Fault Less Youth
DJ Rashad - Double Cup
The Dillinger Escape Plan - One Of Us Is The Killer
Yatha Bhuta Jazz Combo - ST
Tim Hecker - Virgins
Huerco S. - Colonoal Patterns
Forest Swords - Engravings

1 Like

Double Cup :heart: :heart:

5 Likes

some 2013 rap songs that i liked slightly less than i liked numbers on the board

gonna give 2013 a big ol’ 10/10 i think, cheers

3 Likes

Album Nomination: Ka - A Knights Gambit

This album changed rap for me, but also took me the longest to get into. The lack of drums wasn’t something I was used to at the time, so didn’t know what to think. But the more I listened, the more I got into it and now I think it may be his best album. And if not best, definitely tied with Grief Pedigree.

6 Likes

i miss jetplane landing :frowning:

3 Likes

Single Nomination - Rustie - Slasherr

I’d always been on the fence with Rustie. I liked him, but just seemed a bit too sugary for me at the time. But this single (double A side with Thrasherr) was just right and made his schtick work for me. An absolute banger from front to back.

1 Like

Local cafe/bar I’d go to on a daily basis at this time had music videos playing all the time so I think this is pretty much the last year I’m really familiar with all the big hits - Happy, Blurred Lines, Get Lucky, Roar, Royals, Wrecking Ball etc.