If I’m too late absolutely fair enough, I have had aaaaages to get these in
A lot of great stuff nominated but I’ve really enjoyed revisiting this over the last couple of days
Slowdive - Slowdive
Slowdive - Slomo
so very calming
Not too late, I’m rammed at work and been falling asleep as soon as I’ve got the kids to bed so just waiting for a free 15 minutes to do the polls, probably at the weekend now!
Polls open until midweek.
DiS’s Favourite Albums of 2017 (can choose up to 3)
- Jonwayne - Rap Album 2
- Big Thief - Capacity
- Tyler, The Creator - Flowerboy
- Japanese Breakfast - Soft Sounds from Another Planet
- Lorde - Melodrama
- julien Baker - turn out the lights
- Hand Habits - Wildly Idle (Humble Before The Void
- Sacred Paws - Strike a Match
- Protomartyr - Relatives in Descent
- Glassjaw - Material Control
- The Shins - Heartworms
- King Krule - The OOZ
- Los Campesinos! — Sick Scenes
- TAYLOR SWIFT - REPUTATION
- Power Trip - Nightmare Logic
- Lau Nau - Poseidon
- Julie Byrne - Not Even Happiness
- Forest Swords - Compassion
- Nadine Shah - Holiday Destination
- Phoebe Bridgers - Stranger in the Alps
- Kelela - Take Me Apart
- Mario Batkovic - Mario Batkovic
- The National - Sleep Well Beast
- Mount Eerie - A Crow Looked at Me
- Priests - Nothing Feels Natural
- midwife - like author, like daughter
- Bodies Of Water - Spear In The City
- Jasmine Guffond - Traced
- Aimee Mann – Mental Illness
- baxter dury - prince of tears
- Richard Dawson - Peasant
- Slowdive - Slowdive
DiS’s Favourite Songs of 2017 (can choose up to 3)
- Lorde - Green Light
- Vince Staples - Bagbak
- Sun El-Musician - Akanamali (ft. Samthing Soweto)
- Bell witch: Mirror Reaper
- Hey Colossus - Back In The Room
- Strange Ranger - Most Perfect Gold of the Century
- Ibibio Sound Machine - Give Me A Reason
- Protomartyr - The Chuckler
- Casisdead - Pat Earrings
- A SLOW SLOW DEATH - LOS CAMPESINOS!
- Alex G - Bobby
- future - mask off
- La Féline - La Mer Avalée
- Kendrick Lamar - Humble
- Frank Ocean - Chanel
- Bicep - Glue
- Vince Staples - Yeah Right
- Susanne Sundfør - Undercover
- Mount Kimbie (ft.King Krule) - Blue Train Lines
- A. Savage - Phantom Limbo
- LCD Soundsystem — American Dream
- Andrea Laszlo De Simone - Meglio
- Colleen - A Flame My Love, A Frequency
- Aldous Harding – Horizon
- circuit de yeux - black fly
- Slowdive - Slomo
Overall rating out of 10 for 2017
A few electronic records that did’t get mentioned yet in the thread that I’ll add to the case for the year:
Brainwaltzera - Poly-Ana
What a superb IDM album this is. Genuine thrills as it opened sounding like a great lost Boards of Canada track
Shinichi Atobe - From the Heart, It’s a Start, a Work of Art
Dreamy ambient techno
Porter Ricks - Anguilla Electrica
Ominous minimal techno
Kelly Lee Owens - Kelly Lee Owens
OK, this one was mentioned - once, in a list, but that’s not much fanfare for a debut record that came 4th in the forum’s album of the year poll!
Is this a trick question?
Good spot, got complacent with my copy paste job from the last thread!
Bump as a reminder for the polls, will close sometime in the next few evenings.
This is the first time in one of these threads that I voted for only 2 albums.
After an extended thread due to a World Cup-esque winter break, 2017 scores 7.36, placing it 22nd out of 28 years polled so far.
DiS users’ favourite albums of 2017 were:
Protomartyr - Relatives in Descent
Mount Eerie - A Crow Looked at Me Phoebe Bridgers - Stranger in the Alps
and our songs of 2017 were:
Kendrick Lamar - Humble
Slowdive - Slomo
Lorde - Green Light
Big jumps from Mount Eerie and Phoebe Bridgers from their 6th and 15th place finishes in the big forum poll at the time, though Protomartyr still coming out on top.
Feel like the year was better than that score suggests even though I struggled like @jeromium to find much that I loved personally in the polls. Going to play out with a few more tracks I liked this year that didn’t make it onto the list.