Ashley Cole 7.85
Alan Shearer 7.74
Andrea Pirlo 7.66
Eric Cantona 7.56
Robbie Fowler 5.70
David Batty 4.80

And next, TV prank show presenter Rio Ferdinand

0 voters

Best defender of a generation by some distance IMO. Completely revolutionised the art of defending in this country. An unbelievably classy player.

4 Likes

England’s best ever defender?

An absolute tit

4 Likes

Cantona finished below Ashley Cole

1. Maybe the best defender of the PL era, certainly the best English one. Better than Terry.
6 Likes

He once came into my work with his family and they all had the same outfit on

Played for 4 of the grubbiest teams in the country

Made a TV show called World Cup Wind Ups

Drugs test evader

3 Likes

Better than average defender. Loses a lot of points for his off-pitch behaviour, from multiple drink-driving and speeding convictions to using homophobic language and much, much more.

3/10

4 Likes

Probably the best centre back in the premier league for a good six seasons and the most consistent England centre back in that time, who worked well with both Campbell and Terry. He was probably world class for a couple of seasons too, in between the drugs bans and injuries.

He stayed at Man Utd for five seasons too long though, which has unfairly knocked his reputation as a footballer, and the missed drugs tests, drink-driving, speeding and repeated abusive language towards minorities certainly tarnished his personal reputation. He seems to have learnt from the latter though, and is much more willing to listen and take time to understand these days.

Hi Rio do u want voting for in the morning pal

3 Likes

He’s no Ledley King

Merked myself with that autocorrect

I think he was underrated.

Don’t think there’s a serious argument he was better than Stam, Carvalho, or van Dijk to be honest, but he didn’t have a noticeable weakness in his game unlike, for example, Vidic, Kompany or Terry.

The perfect mix of traditional and modern defender. Extremely quick, good positional awareness, strong, well organised, intelligent, but could mix it with the best of them and put a striker in row z if need be.

I do think we’ve somewhat reimagined him as a great ball-playing defender, though. He had unbelievable spacial intelligence and read the game brilliantly, but though he modernised the position in other ways, his passing was average, yet whenever people talk about him they act like it was one of his key attributes.

People forget he was captaining Leeds at 22. Granted, they’re a small provincial side without the pressures of a big club and quite a moderate, passive fan base, but some going that.

9 Likes

not as good as terry - maybe a bit better on the ball but thats it. always thought he was a touch over rated.

1 Like

:grinning::grinning::grinning:

3 Likes

9/10

really weirdly underrated for someone who was both a rock at the back and incredibly gifted with the ball at his feet.

nah, this is daft

both Cole and Rio were proper world class, fuck any silly partizan voting for either

3 Likes

I did tho

he was a good to watch as any defender has been. both silk and steel.

I’m going to give him 10 in a minute as a protest

1 Like

I do not understand this opinion. You mean he could have achieved more going abroad or whatever?

1 Like

Decent defender, but a nasty piece of work. 6.