Ronaldinho 8.72
Ruud Gullit 8.27
Ashley Cole 7.85
Eric Cantona 7.56
Robbie Fowler 5.70

And next, Alan ‘Interesting’ Shearer!

alan-shearer-was-the-world-too-slow-to-recognise-just-how-good-he-was

0 voters

Made me fall in love with football and Newcastle (as a dirty southerner) in that Bobby Robson team. Could have had so much success and silverware at Man U but sacked it off because he loved his club so much. Maybe silly, definitely admirable, love the guy to bits, 10

3 Likes

The very best at what he did. 8
(not as good as Cantona)

He scored so many goals :cry:

7 Likes

Decent goalscorer. Very sharp elbows. Boring pundit.

7/10

3 Likes

Obviously his record as a goalscorer is very good but I always really fucking hated him. One of those players who are functional and effective with absolutely no joy or exuberance to his style. 3/10.

5 Likes

Shit celebration

6 Likes

I like that he stuck with his shit local team rather than going for glory.

an all time celebration.

very good at goals

Brilliant goalscorer

Fucking hated him though

2 Likes

I’m not going to be able to take part in this thread. ffs

1 Like

met a brazilian guy whose favourite player ever was alan shearer. seems odd since they had romario & ronaldo etc in that era but he just loved the way shearer used to fucking smash goals in so fair enough really

2 Likes

it’s difficult cos the guy’s a total fucking dick but you just can’t argue with his record. 10.

1 Like

Can’t remember him as a player much. Liked him when he put Michael Owen down a peg

Also liked it when he was Newcastle manager for a bit and didn’t keep them up. He has got lots better and more insightful as a pundit, think he’s an easy target but far from the worst at what he does now.

Remember being on the toilet when I got a text message from the Newcastle United Fan Club (or something) saying that Shearer in fact wasn’t going to retire at the end of the season and did a little cry of joy.

29 years old I was etc

“…the most overrated player I have ever seen.”

-Ruud Gullit (rated 8.27)

The best all-round forward in the world for a good few years before his injury. Even after that he was the best forward in the league for another half a decade too.

His ability to hold the ball up and bring other team mates into play meant he was worth more than just 30 thirty goals a season, as well.

Good to watch, too - he used to hit the ball so sweetly that he didn’t really need to use dinks or chips to beat the goalkeeper, like Hot Shot Hamish.

I’ve gone for a 9.

1 Like

A coward who could have won stuff if he wasn’t a coward.

(The best pure striker in PL history)

1 Like

He won the league once, mainly because of Luděk Mikloško though.

1 Like

Bit of a shithouse, wasn’t he

3 Likes

Some things put out to mark his 50th last week