Ruud Gullit 8.27
Ashley Cole 7.85
Alan Shearer 7.74
Eric Cantona 7.56
Robbie Fowler 5.70

So now we look at Andrea Pirlo…

andreapirlo-cropped1777kw3lhptgs1csb2nrweph2xjpg

0 voters

An excellent footballer but in a crowded field of similarly excellent players of his style he’s not near the top of that list IMO

4 Likes

One of those players for me whose ‘cult’ or whatever you want to call it status outweighs their actual ability somewhat.

1 Like

To some extent. I think the fact he “peaked” very late kind of contributes to that perception of “overratedness” despite the fact that his peak was at an incredibly high level innit.

4 Likes

Reckon his stock skyrocketed mostly off the back of pulling England apart at a major tournament. If not for that don’t think people in UK would care nearly as much tbh

4 Likes

Oh I still think he was fucking great. I’m a big fan of players who bring a bit of character and personality to the game.

1 Like

Gonna do a thing with this series btw. Every now and then I’ll drop in a player nominated by a DiSer from the club they support. Each club will only be covered once so get in quick and DM me your nomination. Make it someone I wouldn’t ordinarily have on the list please cause we’ll be covering most of the big names anyway.

1 Like

Overrated. Dirty player also. That being said I’d have taken him in my team at his peak! Capable of magic on his day.

Excellent, obviously, but a weird cult around him now that I don’t think he quite warranted. Like Paul Scholes went from being maybe a little underappreciated to strangely overrated in the last few years of their career/post-retirement.

1 Like

10 for that beard.

2 Likes

Not up there in the top tier but a cracking footballer nonetheless who could absolutely control games and make his team tick.
Also:
Great beard
Great hair
Always dresses well
Owns a vineyard or winery or something

Big fan. :+1:
8 for football
10 for everything else

1 Like

His pass to Grosso in the 2006 semi final was a lovely thing

4 Likes

Gone with an 8.5/10 rounded to a 9/10. A very lovely footballer to watch, but fear sometimes it may be style over substance

His book is good and fun too btw.

I agree with just about every post in this thread up until this point.

If only there was a way you could signify your agreement on each post itself :wink:

5 Likes

His pass over the top to Baggio for that goal for Brescia :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Did a good panenka against England

1 Like

Obviously a genius but it was really funny to see how he couldn’t adapt to playing with shite players in the MLS

He’s not as good as Bradley Wright-Phillips is what I’m saying here