⚽️ How Good Was This Footballer Really ⚽️ #8 Ronaldo 🇧🇷

That was one of them. Most of the others revolved around the drinking culture there too, and how Anderson was in truth managing the team. Robson’s job was to be able to stand up in the dug out on match day and get through a post-match interview.

2 Likes

Is there a story about Boro signing a striker without anyone ever having seen him play because Merson’s brother said he was good or had bought him on Championship Manager or something?

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve heard Robson was an insanely big drinker.

Yeah I think it was CM. Can’t remember who it was though. It was on Merson’s Quickly Kevin interview I think.

I’ve read that they doubled Merson’s wages, then when he realised Middlesbrough was a dive just let him drive up on a Thursday night, train Friday, play Saturday and go back to London.

When Merson was Walsall manager I think I’m right in saying Vinny Samways used to live in Spain and fly over to play.

1 Like

He, Bruce and Pallister used to meet up a couple of times a week in one of the pubs in Yarm (I think it was Yarm) and stay until closing.

He definitely moved up there, and the club paid his brother something like £400 a week to just keep him company.

probably my favourite ever player. everything’s already been said really

had a shit haircut for a tournament (yes I know why)

1 Like

Somehow I knew that the Ronaldo thread would switch to Vinny Samways chat.

3 Likes

was literally just about to post how pleased I am that in less than 50 posts, Gary Pallister is being discussed

3 Likes

this is now the Middlesborough chat thread

4 Likes

All the players mentioned so far are of a similar class tbf.

2 Likes

robbo

2 Likes

they did call Dunga the Brazilian Phil Stamp tbf

2 Likes
6 Likes

Ronaldo: The Latino Bernie Slaven

Zinedine ZIdane was once asked in an interview who his toughest ever opponent was, and without missing a beat he answered ‘Robbie Mustoe’

3 Likes
  • Taffarel
  • Gary Walsh

0 voters

Merson and his brother shared a house with Gazza and Jimmy Five Bellies.

1 Like

Ray Mallon being included in the sons and daughters of Middlesborough is a head scratcher.

1 Like