How important to you are gigs

increasingly less so

but i still love festivals n that

Used to love gigs but now I reckon I’m about 80% of the way to being full @hip_young_gunslinger

2 Likes

Three gigs a week, every week.

Don’t get me started on fucking festivals.

1 Like

It’s my job so…I dunno, shite?

Really not fucked with gigs of touring bands like those who get attention on here. Don’t like the crowds or expensive drinks and I often have to go on my own which is annoying as between acts you’re just there.

Still enjoy small gigs of local bands who have like one single or something. Those are the best

If everything fits into place then I love them. But generally speaking I don’t go out of my way to travel, I don’t like paying a lot of money and I don’t like big arenas. There is something incredibly exciting though about hearing a band I like announcing a few shows including popping into Bristol - somewhere like Thekla, Exchange or the Fleece. I feel a sense of duty sometimes, even just to tick it off my list. It can be so simple, I am in the centre anyway, it costs me £15-20, may as well bloody pop in and see someone like the Melvins or Shellac or Trail of Dead or whoever has just played / up soon.

Huge part of the enjoyment is dependant on the venue/crowd.

I’ve just hit 30 and noticed a dramatic downturn in how much I enjoy a gig these days. I think London is a real drain on the excitement for me - whenever I go to gigs elsewhere (Glasgow, Birmingham) there’s an atmosphere and buzz that I just don’t get in London anymore. There’s loads of talking or general disinterest - as if its a night out in the pub with a band on in the background, but I think there’s just a lack of respect and selfishness for others that’s the London way in general.

Funnily enough I’ve found that the best gigs I’m going to at the moment are ones I’ve taken a punt on only hearing a few things - Shellac for example recently which I really enjoyed. Whereas the ones I’m there on the laptop the minute they go on sale, such as The National, I generally feel a bit let-down…I think the real life-changing moments and excitement you get coming to a city and seeing your favourite bands, performing those songs which mean so much to you in the flesh naturally decreases over time and the novelty wears off sadly. I’m more interested in seeing something new or something I’ve only hear a few songs previously.

Can definitely agree with aspects of this…

1 Like

To me that seems really alien.

Even when I was a University and there were free and cheap gigs everywhere I’d never get anywhere near that level of attendance.

Probably less important than they used to be? I’m probably less willing to take a punt on a new band these days and There’s also other hobbies which have started to creep in which I probably enjoy more.

There’s still bands who I’ll generally go and see every time they’re in town though.

The London thing is quite interesting. Never thought of that.

Growing up in a smaller town there is definitely an excitement when a ‘hot’ band comes to town. Maybe being in London there is simply too much choice leading to an element of ennui…?

Part of my job too, so maybe having to attend gigs for work, by acts I wouldn’t normally have chosen to, has deadened my enjoyment somewhat.

I think that’s it - in the course of about 10 days I’d seen Sigur Ros, LCD Soundsystem, The National and Nick Cave.

If I was 16 and living back in the Midlands and you’d told me I could attend all of those in that short space of time I think I’d have probably had a break-down from sheer happiness.

It becomes the ‘norm’ and not an event. On the other hand went to the Barrowlands to see Deftones and I’ve genuinely not seen anything like it - the sheer joy and mates hugging etc. Saw Deftones in London and old friends were catching up on their lives and talking about new jobs.

FFS.

• Dance events with DJs

I still enjoy it, but then I generally go to stuff I think I will enjoy so I guess that helps

Echo lots of comments north of this one.

Used to go more regularly, but family life has certainly limited the number in recent years. Larger venue tickets seem to have increased massively in price too.

I’m tending to go with bands I’ve wanted to see for the first time or absolute faves only. I’m not bothered at all about going on my own if mates aren’t interested/free. Occasionally travel abroad with job, so always check local gig lists.

Still love an awesome gig.

I struggle to enjoy them, a large part of it is having v.severe social anxiety. I think it’s worth it for the times when it comes together, even if it’s just for one song. Would quite sincerely love it if you could go to gigs invisible.
I think with certain genres the live/club experience is crucial, isn’t it? It’s pointless trying to make a blanket statement of ‘sounds better on record so what’s the point’

1 Like

I’ve thought about this a bit - I’d love to see a band and be the only person in the audience so I didn’t have to worry about getting into position, people talking etc.

However, when I watch a live performance on TV I find it really boring so there’s definitely something ‘magic’ in the fact the performance is happening live in front of you. I suppose it’s the trade-off between what the crowd is like and how much of this ‘magic’ you think the performance can generate.

Having said that, I’ve absolutely seen gigs elevated by the enthusiasm of the crowd and I love occasionally looking around and seeing someone grinning from ear to ear and obviously really enjoying themselves.