How long do you think it will be before office space is largely obsolete

The underlings are what fuck the prospect of permanent WFH up for me as well, little bastards

Don’t want him seeing your pampas grass out front?

He will have a laptop with access but certainly at the start I can’t just leave hi to it… the fucking little prick!

1 Like

I could probably alternate with my colleague and do one week here and one working from home. But it would always need one of us here.

If most other people worked from home though, I’d be able to get to and from work a lot quicker which would be good enough for me.

Yeah I think there’s been a big rise in ‘flexible’ office spaces for self-employed/remote workers. my village has just set one up which seems really good and pretty well priced - it’s increased my flexibility about the types of jobs I could potentially do in the future, because I can’t really WFH at the moment while the kids are young.

1 Like

I’m not going to invite him round to work at mine!

My barber has actually just set up a really cool workspace upstairs as well - pretty cool for smaller companies or people needing a meeting place but without their own space.

Sounds like someone’s got a case of the Monday’s!!!11

2 Likes

It’s more than ten years away. Which is another way of saying the timescale is potentially infinite.

I like the separation of work and home. But… fuck me, the open plan office I’m in is a nightmare between the core flexi hours of 10-noon and 2-4. So so so so many interruptions. Impossible to keep a train of thought going at those times.

Well, I generally come in at least 15 minutes late, ah, I use the side door - that way Lumbergh can’t see me, heh heh - and, uh, after that I just sorta space out for about an hour. Yeah, I just stare at my desk; but it looks like I’m working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch, too. I’d say in a given week I probably only do about 15 minutes of real, actual, work.

1 Like

I wish I could work from home, but I’m far too easily distracted. And then there’s the wanking.

In related modern-office news; hot-desking can sod off.

They’ve given us lockers here now so that we don’t have stuff on or around our desks. I don’t like where this is going.

Hot desking is bumhat, although I wouldn’t mind sitting somewhere different on the odd day.

The latest wheeze up my way is to not even bother smashing them down first - just convert the office blocks straight to flats.

1 Like

I used to work for a charity who were toying with getting rid of their office and moving everything to a remote working with meetings style arrangement.

Reckon it will take off massively at their sort of level, small charities or other low-turnover businesses are often just wasting money on offices (in the case I’m talking about, the directors were generally wfh anyway and project managing through Trello). I work for two companies now who have huge distributed teams and no central office space to speak of.

I’m a massive evangelist for it, but then I’m a misanthrope and a freelancer, so I know I’m outside the norm a little bit.

1 Like

This reminds me of the virtual reality office idea I had. You could just sit at home in your pants and wear a pair of those big VR glasses things. It would be exactly like you are in work apart from you wouldn’t have to iron a shirt and you could probably fly to meetings.

My flatmate works for a company that has a small office space. Everyone works from home but needs to visit the office one day a week. On their day in the office, they hot desk. It sounds like a pretty good solution except that every now and then everyone tries to go in on the same day and there aren’t enough desks to go around.

Remember when @Royter-Hatfood had his desk moved into the kitchen?

9 Likes

Halcyon days

I hope working from home loses any stigma it may have (people sitting in pyjamas slacking off etc) and the idea of hauling your arse into an office in a big city 9-5 every day wears off. Some kind of hotdesking arrangement where people WFH then can have meetings in offices shared by several companies in more convenient locations perhaps. Depends on what you do of course. I ask quick questions of my colleagues here mainly by email / chat, we have pointless weekly catch up meetings and that is it. I work from home once a week, I’d gladly make it close to full time.

Imagine it. You could piss in the garden together.

1 Like