How much do you get out at the cash machine?

I don’t know where you live, but in London most pubs will take contactless and it’s usually quicker than paying with cash and there’s no charge.

Can’t remember the last time I went to a pub which didn’t accept a card. Even my local takes contactless and it’s a proper old boozer.

More often than not I settle on 60

Usually a “nifty”. Sometimes a “ton”.

Handy for pubs, chicken shops, certain curry places, and tipping cab drivers.

2 Likes

Only really get cash out if I’m going to the countryside for the weekend or need to get a bus somewhere. Only get £30 out usually unless I’m getting it out to pay for something in particular

Usually get £20 out, that lasts me for a few weeks then. About the only places left on Earth where cash is required are chip shops and the work canteen as far as I can tell.

Go to a cash machine
To get a ticket home
Message on the screen
Says don’t make plans, you’re broke
No, no this can’t be right
I know that time is tight
I’ve only just been paid
Three weeks five days, til I’m seen
Right…
No…
I scratch a living, it ain’t easy
You know it’s a drag
I’m always paying, never make it
But you can’t look back
I wonder if I’ll ever get
To where I want to be
Better believe it
I’m working for the cash machine

I try to phone a friend
My credit’s in the red
I try to skip the fare
Ticket inspector’s there
No no, this can’t be right
I live an honest life
It seems like sometimes
You don’t cross the line
You don’t get
By…
No…

You know it’s a drag
But you can’t look back
To where I want to be
Better believe it
Yeah…

What am I gonna do
My girlfriend’s test turned blue
We tried to play it safe
That night we could not wait
No no, this can’t be right
She said it would be alright
I can’t afford to be a daddy
So I leave tonight…
No…

You know it’s a drag
But you can’t look back
To where I want to be
Better believe it
I’m working for the cash machine
Cash machine
Cash machine …

There’s a hole in my pocket, my pocket, my pocket
There’s a hole in my pocket
Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah

3 Likes

I live in London.

3 Likes

Has anyone’s regular haunts gone cash-free yet? Coffee shop in Brockley has and it trips me up more than it should.

I use contactless wherever I can, but I like to tip in cash as a lot of places don’t pass on the extra from card payments. Also, paying for cabs because I’m not Tory enough to use Uber.

I get it all out :kissing_heart:

I live in Edinburgh. Being serious, there seems like there is quite a divide between where paying by card is de rigueur and not. Chains and places near offices where everyone is buying massive rounds with company cards - fine. Little pubs away from centre - awkward.

I’ve started taking cash out and making the vast majority of my spending cash-based. Main reason for this is to keep better tabs on what I’m spending. Both from a tangible perspective but also from an online banking perspective. I don’t know if it’s a specific problem with the NatWest banking app but I never get an accurate picture of how much money I’ve got to spend until pay day. Like today it will say “£xxx balance | £xxx available” but this STILL isn’t net of, I dunno, when I spent £30 in Tescos on Saturday or whatever.

So yeah I’ve gone back to cash. Tend to draw I dunno £140 out on a Monday and hope it lasts through till the following Monday.

I give myself £30 pocket money every Friday.

2 Likes

Certain stalls at the London Stadium are card only now. Still see a few places that only take cash though.

Wow. I reckon you’d have to be a massive dick to do this. A lot of people without debit cards/bank accounts out there.

2 Likes

How many beers am I gonna be getting?

My nearest cash machine stopped pumping out fivers, when the new animal killing ones came out. Was not impressed.

I find that having an itemised record on our bank statement of what we actually spent is a lot better for budgeting than it being lumped under vague ‘cashpoint’ line.

Yeah, there was a lot of talk about this at the time and I think they basically comp people whose card’s don’t work or who don’t have cards. They’ve always done a pay it forward scheme so you can basically get a free coffee there if you have the balls to ask for one.

But it does certainly indicate the general trend for society and not everyone will be generous when it comes to enforcing the rules. Cash is actually quite a freeing concept and the death of it will be way fascist.

1 Like

Whilst this is true - all of the important stuff I need to budget for is either funnelled into the joint account or taken via DD or whatever.

This expenditure simply comes out of a pot called ‘Life’ and it gets spent on whatever happens that week. Doesn’t need to be itemised.