How much time do you aim to leave between arriving at the airport and catching your flight?

I’m a strict “at least two hours” person to allow for delays, and genuinely think less of people who cut it fine.

However, my sister went on holiday with her family last week and her husband INSISTED that they leave the house at 1.30 in the morning to drive from Glasgow to Edinburgh for a 7.30 flight, and I haven’t stopped thinking about it since I found out.

Yeah, probably something mental like 2 hours as well.
Your sister’s husband…yeah, no, what?!

Used to be an hour. Now, and if travelling with the kids, 90 minutes…

He’s a panicker, that one.

2 hours. Normally gives you enough time to do everything and sneak in a quick Wetherschoons.

I leave two hours and then I have a Weatherspoons breakfast in that one in the corner at Stansted and I tend to sit in the same seat every time

Normally id like to get there pretty early, like into the terminal 2 hours before my flight. Time to peruse the shops, try on some perfume and maybe get something to eat. No panic. Short hall routine flights within the uk and I’d reduce that down to an hour.

Depends on the airport. City might be an 60-90mins. A big airport like Heathrow or Gatwick would be 2 hours.

They’d have walked into the airport at about 2:15am!

It’s fine, they’ve only got a 5 year old and a 1 year old to deal with for all that time. Piece of piss.

I like to be at the airport 2 hours beforehand.

Let’s not start talking about how much buffer time I leave to get to the start of the 2 hours.

Plus I’m not sure you’re accounting for the 1.50 am rush hour on the M8.

Is it six hours? Because if so I know someone you should meet.

I’ve arrived 35 minutes before and made it comfortably. Completely dependent on airport.

Yeah, depends. Two hours minimum. If it’s Stansted and it’s one of the really early ones where 5 million people are trying to get through security all at the same time, maybe more like 2 1/2 - 3 hours. Went on a work trip once where they booked a taxi to get us to the airport an hour and a half before the (10 hour) flight. Never been so stressed.

Travelled with two colleagues who were still eating their dinner when boarding was announced on our return flight. We hadn’t even gone through security yet. They were unconcerned. It stressed me into having mid-flight diarrhea.

It’s probably 2.

I should probably take this to the things you want people to drop thread but our last flight out of Heathrow was at 8pm and I made us leave at 4pm and 2 mins into the taxi ride to the tube I noticed our flight had been delayed by 2 hours so hello heading to the airport 6 hours ahead of a flight

I’ll be arriving at Birmingham International at 10am tomorrow for my 11am work-related flight to sunny Jersey. I’ve done it in less than 40 mins before, but tbh I was getting a little nervous in the security queues…

Nothing worse than a relaxed airport traveler

hate them with all my guts

I learned last week that three pre-flight Valium is too many. Could barely lift my legs up the stairs onto the plane, felt like they were made of concrete.