How much time do you give something before deciding it's shite?

TV shows - really depends, as I think even from a pilot you can get a sense of whether something is going to get good or not. Like, Master of None started slowly but showed enough that it could be good (and subsequently turned out good).

Albums - I’ll listen once happily. If it’s really shit I’ll turn it off halfway through.

Books - don’t read enough :cry:

How long did you give After Earth?

Have been known to sit on the bog for a good 10 mins before deciding it isn’t shite, just wind

2 Likes

i mean obviously i knew that was total shite before even switching it on

watched the whole thing

2 Likes

think I turned off a movie about dinosaurs coming back to life after less than a minute after realsing it was found footage

(and that it wasn’t jurassic park)

books and movies I normally like to stick with to the bitter end.

Nah

TV Shows - a couple of episodes. Recently I think I made it to Episode Three of Sons of Anarchy before deciding it was pish.

Albums - two listens tops but I reserve the right to maybe try it again when I’m in a different mood.

Books - When I realise I’ve been absent-mindedly turning the pages without actually absorbing any of the words.

Everyone at work was in UPROAR because I said I wouldn’t date a man who had a games console.

5 Likes

Does seem like a fairly sweeping generalisation. And a massive insult to those of us who enjoy gaming.

Whats your point?

yet, pretty on the money

2 Likes

You don’t owe anything a fair go, if you liked the look of something but no longer like the look of it just fuck it off, life is far too short.

1 Like

I started It’s Always Sunny cause my brother told me to and I was like what the fuck is this shit and gave up for a year or so before trying again then I loved it

The first episode of this is terrible and it put me off completely. My daughter told me to watch episodes from Season 3 onwards and while I’m not exactly hooked it’s pretty funny.

PC elitist, eh

8 Likes

I enjoy gaming to relax, wouldn’t say it makes me a worse person. Using my brain while I relax is infinitely preferable to watching shite tv/getting pissed/doing whatever else it is normal people do.

I suppose I wouldn’t consider dating someone who makes sweeping generalisations about people like this, so we’re gravy.

4 Likes

When I used to put on gigs regularly and received demo tapes/CDs in the post (pre-Soundcloud etc) I’d give them ten seconds before chucking them through the open window into my back yard.

Seriously, if they start the CD with a shit song then they don’t deserve a thing. And if the whole thing is shit then I’ve avoided listening to more than I would have liked.

seems reasonable

Agree about Mad Men. I watched it mainly because it was easy to watch but I didn’t really get into it until the 4th season.

Other shows:

new BSG: I watched the pilot and S1 and then gave up. Came back to it later and watched the whole thing with the wife and enjoyed it.

Sopranos: watched S1 and had no interest in more of the same but then watched it all with my wife.

Gaming is for stunted man-children. Everyone knows this. I’d respect gamers more if they just accepted and acknowledged it.

1 Like