How old were you when you first went up a ladder?

Please revive the blog about your Dad

4 Likes

Probably around 6 or 7. I’d alway help my Dad get the Christmas decorations down from the loft and as my Mum was/is afraid of hights my Dad would go up into the loft, I would climb to the top of the ladder so he could pass me various boxes and then I’d pass them to my Mum who was standing at the bottom. True story that!

Lots of loft related ladders so far which is to be expected, any external ladder memories or recollections to share?

Yeah, I’m fairly sure it did happen. I remember crying a lot.

See, maybe my first real ladder experience aged 26.5 isn’t that unusual…

1 Like

sub-thread: how old were you when you first went in a larder?

probably two years old for me.

Let my 2.5 year old son climb up the loft ladder the other day.

Extremely comprehensive, thanks!

1 Like

New thread please.

no thank you

Quite young I’d say. Maybe five or six years old. Dad was always painting bits of the house or fixing things so my brothers and i were surrounded by opportunities to climb ladders, much to the disapproval of our Mam.

I will note that I have never fallen off a ladder in over twenty years of using them. The technique used by @urbanfox and @foppyish to gain access to a loft is very familiar to me as well. Proper thrilling stuff.

This comprehensive enough for you @anon5266188?

I was quite young. You argue that the ladders on the back of slides don’t count, but ladders attached to climbing frames definitely do. I will not hear otherwise.

But to this day, I have never successfully scaled a rope ladder. Not for want of trying either. I just can’t do it.

Excellent posting, thanks very much

do people actually have ladders that come down from their lofts like off the telly, and not paint-splattered decorating ladders thats only second use is to get christmas decorations down?

The thing is, growing up, it seemed normal. I had to sort some stuff out in the loft one christmas recently and it occurred to me how daft it is.

It was a post-moving out addition to my Ma and Pa’s house

Yeah, if the situation arose today, I think my wife would hit the roof if she caught me doing it :smiley:

1 Like

just seems WILD and like something off grand designs when they want to make attic rooms accessible
what have you got up there?!

actually, i went to a tiny terraced house last year that had a converted attic room. the ladders were permanent wooden ones though and not foldy down ones.

and there was a dog in the house but he didn’t know how to do ladders

2 Likes

Just old copies of OK magazine as discussed upthread as far as I know.

In my old house my Dad had to do a loft conversion as we didn’t have enough bedrooms and my sister’s both had to have a room with a shitty triangular ceiling that was dead good because you could chuck stuff out the velux window very easily despite being short children.