How prepared were you for moving out to uni/away from parents?

• I was very prepared
  • I was helpless
  • I struggled a bit

0 voters

I remember people at uni not even knowing to put a brush down their toilet and their ensuite smelled like an open sewer. See also, people not knowing how to turn on the oven or taking their washing home because they didn’t know how to do it :expressionless:

I’d say fairly bad, but not as bad as some other boys I lived with. One of my halls flat mates went out to the shops the first afternoon after we arrived, came back with a hundred quid asking what cashback was. He thought they were offering him free money and just asked how much he could have. He then proceeded to burn baked beans to a black crisp on the hob. Having failed at cooking, he then decided to soke the pan, but broke the kettle by putting in on without any water in it. Then just threw his brand new pan in the bin.

I could cook but was very messy. Our flat would have been fully disgusting if not for the fact we had cleaners provided by the halls. As it was the showers and toilet were sort of bareable (but yes, people wouldn’t know to use a toilet brush) and every utensil in the kitchen was always dirty. When the cleaners came, we just put the dirty utensils in the cupboard, they would clean the surfaces, and then we’d take them out again. :face_vomiting: I only tidied my room when I thought a girl might be stopping by.

I think I was alright. In fairness, I did make the dumb decision of only eating plain Supernoodles for about the first month cause it was so easy. Can’t eat them now because I’ve basically completed that particular food product.

Kind of depressing to think it’s been longer since I moved back home than the time I spent away. Once you’ve had that degree of independence, it’s a pretty shite thing to lose, I have to say.

was completely fine
mine didn’t even drop me off in halls, just got the train there myself

I can’t remember cooking at all. I think I probably ate a lot of spaghetti on toast and spaghetti in general. I remember my mum giving me a frozen roast beef slices with gravy microwaveable thing and it was so bad ew.

Before you left for uni…

• I had never done my own laundry or washing up
  • I did my own laundry but never did the washing up
  • I did the washing up but never did laundry
  • I did my own laundry and washed up often

0 voters

In terms of coping with looking after myself, middling. I could do basic cooking and cleaning and shopping but had no idea how buses worked and got dropped off by the side of a dual carriageway a mile from campus one time when it turned out you had to press a button for the bus to stop where you wanted it to (unlike on trains). Was arguably the cleanest of my housemates in terms of the kitchen (i loathe washing up but would leave my plates in my room; I spent half my time cleaning the surfaces and the hob in the kitchen and left pass aggressive postits).

In terms of homesickness, absolutely helpless for the first year (and to a lesser extent the second year). I called home all the time (sometimes sobbing and at inopportune moments), would be on the first train back to Kent as soon as term ended and the last train back for the start of term, and used to Skype with my gerbils quite a lot.

I am so jealous of people who loved or even just generally enjoyed uni.

i didn’t go til a year later than planned so was extremely impatient to go. absolutely loved living on my own even when i was stupidly broke, i’d just stay there over summer working my way through the uni film library and reading. never understood people who would run home at every opportunity to get their parents to do their laundry for them and whatnot.

I remember having not thought about having to do general housework at all but it’s basically the easiest thing in the world to do and anything I didn’t know was solved by google.
Even at the time people who’d just drown their room in half eaten takeaways and let the place smell like an athlete’s foot just puzzled me, like it was an intentional self-abuse. Not that I was living in cleanville myself but there are just obvious levels.

Couldn’t cook at all really, because my mum doesn’t really cook. My sister stayed at home for uni and moved from my mum’s house in with her boyfriend (now husband) and so has never ever learned.

My halls were semi-catered so it was fine while I figured it out.

Didn’t really know much about cleaning but it’s hardly rocket surgery.

Oh so the washing powder goes IN the machine, right

Think if you just sprinkle it around the machine it does the job. I get lots of comments on my musky aroma, so I must be doing something right.

a guy i lived with somehow blew up our oven on the first day. still can’t figure out how he could have done that just by cooking

Whenever I hear stories like these I can’t help wonder about the capabilities of their parents to even do a half decent job at raising them.

I can see how for cooking pretty easily, as I never had the opportunity to learn. My mum is also obsessive about cleaning so there wasn’t much in the way of housework for me to do.

But you figure it out.

growing up we had ready meals almost 100% of the time. parents would almost never cook anything from scratch.

they both started after i moved out too and are now pretty good cooks, the bastards.

I do also believe MH issues and a lot of other stuff can get in the way of running a “normal” lifestyle though (even if you know how), and that probably extends to when you’ve just moved out as well.

Took the train from London to Brimingham on my first day with a camping rucksack and a duvet tied up in string. Other parents all looked at me like ‘who is this unloved child’. I felt like a total badboy.

Mum taught me to cook most basics (spag bol, roast chicken etc) whilst I was growing up and I had to do most of the household chores at home anyway as she worked long hours. From about 16-18 she would also go away for weeks at a time so was very used to looking after myself. She gave me a student cookbook as a leaving present and worked my way through that very happily.

Found there to be a huge gulf between the gap year kids and the 18 year olds in mentality and general life skills. Thankfully my halls were 90% gap year or older. Mad how much difference a year made.

1st year i stayed in halls in a kind of shared apartment with 11 other boys, only one of which could actually cook to any degree. he basically taught the rest of us

remember one lad getting chicken straight out the freezer and sticking it in the frying pan and even i was like “er… don’t think you’re meant to do that mate”