how rough was the town you grew up in?

Solid 8/10. Bleak as fuck. The area has improved massively since Sport Direct set up there, which tells you the base level.

That must have been difficult to process.

1 Like

exactly the kind of content i was after, thank you*

*i trust they didn’t actually hit you and you’re ok?

1 Like

Like. I’ve been beaten up twice in my life. Once in my hometown outside the nightclub and once in the middle of Bath. But I’d guess if you looked at both places there’d be an assumption from some people that the streets around the grotty nightclub are rough and beautiful Georgian bath isn’t. Something like that.

1 Like

They didn’t, my friend spat on them and took the heat off me. Can’t remember what happened after that but no one got hurt

1 Like

aye that’s definitely true of my home town in comparison to Glasgow which has a terrible reputation, definitely more likely to be cracked walking down my old high street on a saturday night now simply because people don’t recognise you as being “local”

1 Like

Loves trouble ↑

I grew up in a satellite village of Gateshead which was full of angry, bored people who lashed out due to the frustration and lack of opportunity within said community.

The ennui resulted in petty crime and violence in the local pubs. A man was murdered on my front garden. I remember running for my life from a cadre of bullies and drug addicts on a number of occasions as a teen.

This isn’t an exaggeration. I’m glad to be out of there.

1 Like

When I was 15 I got threatened with a knife for, “looking like a bitch” (ie having long hair) and “disgracing the Barnsley lads” while walking down a busy street in broad daylight. Thankfully the mate who I was with knew the guy as one of the customers of his drug dealer brother and managed to talk him round with the threat of cutting off his supply. Great days. Great town.

1 Like

Didn’t grow up in a town, grew up in a village outside.

The town itself? Dunno 5 or 6 maybe?

I saw a huge fox on the way to Wickham last week. As long as the entire road was wide from nose to tail.

1 Like

I went to school in Whickham!

are you a fox?

I’m not but perhaps that’s what a fox would want you to think.

the current headlines for the local paper are:

Untitled

Big foxes out that way.

1 Like

10/10

I think the Surrey commuter belt’s violent reputation precedes it.

I grew up in Sutton. Some bits (Carshalton Beeches, Cheam Village) were really nice, but my Saturday job was in Roundshaw library. Let’s have a quick google for news from roundshaw:

1 Like

Was fine until I started going out then it was just squaddies decking teenagers /10

Lived in Brixton and Stockwell when I was a kid, both were considerably rougher in the 90s then they are now. Used to have addicts shooting up behind the bins on the estate I lived on which was particularly grim.

Brixton in particular is a world away from it used to be, at least around the high street area.