How’s your attention span?

Hope this isn’t insensitive to our neurodiverse friends or others who legitimately struggle with this sort of thing for any number of reasons- if anything I’d love to hear about your experiences!

Mine is absolutely shot. Was talking to a friend about it earlier and we were both saying how bad ours have gotten. Like, to the point that if a tiktok loads and I can tell it’s gonna be 60 seconds of someone talking to tell a story I’m like NOPE, NEXT ONE. Or I’ll message someone a stupid thought and by the time they’ve replied I’m like “why are you still talking about that? I’ve moved on to the next stupid thought, keep up.” It’s kind of funny sometimes but also it’s a nightmare re: studying, or doing stuff that I used to enjoy like reading. Just can’t focus at all. Definitely not something I’ve struggled with before, I mean even as a kid I had so much patience waiting for each internet page to load and now if my phone takes more than a second to load a webpage I’m like GOD DAMNIT WHAT IS THIS TORTURE PLEASE HURRY UP.

Don’t think this thread has been done before? I imagine I’ll lose interest within 20 replies and never look at it again though.

2 Likes

Terrible. Can’t really stay focused on one activity for very long and I get bored really easily.

Awful. And so is my memory. Both to the point of worrying about it quite a bit.

2 Likes

If someone posts a video on here or wherever that’s longer than about 30 seconds then I just don’t bother.

3 Likes

Oh, hard same re: getting bored easily too. It’s become a running joke with my best mate that I’ll be so passionate about something and be like “THIS IS MY NEW HOBBY I LOVE IT!!” and she’ll ask how it’s going two days later and I’m like “oh that? Yeah dunno, sacked it off.”

And same with videos as well. Three minutes? I should cocoa.

1 Like

Sorry you’re worrying scout :frowning:
My memory is awful as well, so embarrassing sometimes. Always repeating myself.

1 Like

Getting worse and I assume social media has a big part to play.

Like you, if people even just talk too slow on TikToks I’m like nope, next.

Speaking of which have you seen the swinging raccoon yet?

1 Like

Varying. Can read for hour plus. Watching a film is ok

But YouTube videos? Over a minute, forget it.

1 Like

No!? (Not on tiktok except to check V’s posts)

ADHD so either something is my entire world or you couldn’t force me at gunpoint to focus. It’s nowhere near as fun as it sounds.

1 Like

Haha exactly!! And the whole nature of the app is that it’s quick, but some of them AREN’T QUICK ENOUGH.

What’s this raccoon please? I need it

Awful thing is I congratulate myself if I manage to watch a TV program or film without looking at my phone.

2 Likes

I just love how nonplussed she is about it all

Ah I’m sorry. Doesn’t sound fun at all, tbf.

I don’t have ADHD nor do I think I do but can massively relate. Fall down a rabbit hole of nonsense for an entire evening? Easy peasy. Brain full of useless info. But like, filling out simple forms is a disaster. “Do I have a middle name? Dunno. We’ll come back to that.” and then I never come back to it or finish the form because I’ve gotten interested in a weird crack on my wall for a bit and then something else, etc.

3 Likes

Hmm that link hasn’t worked at all has it?

Remove the xxxx at the start of the link

xxxxhttps://vm.tiktok.com/ZSGbrFJk/

1 Like

Googled it. Enjoyed it.

1 Like

Good if I’m interested in something, can often become absorbed for hours and miss meals. I’m very forgetful though

1 Like

Have happy memories when I was younger of being able to sit and read for hours without any distractions, like on long train journeys or similar, and it’s such a struggle now to do so for more than a few…ooh, there’s a new post in the football thread

1 Like

The worst thing I’ve noticed recently is getting bored/zoning out during a conversation with someone, cause it’s so incredibly rude and I’m sure people can tell sometimes. I even START these conversations and they’ll be replying but I’ll stop paying attention and then focus on looking interested for the rest of the time of them talking. “Okay, nod. Make eye contact. Smile. Nod again.” and cause of that I don’t hear anything.

Or go for a long walk and when I’m at the furthest possible point from my home on the route I’ll suddenly be like “this is boring. What am I here for?” and then near enough jog back whilst frantically skipping songs cause I can’t even listen to them the whole way through :smiley:

4 Likes

yeah most songs you can basically skip after one verse and chorus to get to something more interesting

1 Like