How to reduce the DiScourse server costs

A focussed conversation on the options

1 Like

Here’s the current rate, to be paid from May, if we didn’t change anything

Your usage is pretty high and technically requires our Enterprise plan ($2k/mo) to cover your traffic, but I’m comfortable cutting you a deal and allowing you to remain on Business+ at $600/mo if that will help you survive.

2 Likes

There was discussion in the other thread earlier, about being able to install a Discourse forum on a different server (Digital Ocean?) To save server costs. Is this going to be investigated?

We still had around £500 per month in subs before Discourse cut that option, so I’m sure we could afford it, if the new server is even just a bit cheaper.

5 Likes

Yeah. We need to look into it to check it would definitely be less with the volume of traffic we get what other costs there might be. Sometimes are some hidden costs with servers.

1 Like

This reads like haggling to me . Has a lower counter offer been made?

6 Likes

Is there a breakdown of costs anywhere? Or is it just “here’s the fee for your traffic”? This would make it far easier to estimate savings from self-hosting as well as direct conversation in this thread so should be shared if such a thing exists.

2 Likes

Investigating the cost of alternative hosting would be useful for counter offers anyway

1 Like

some good info here I’ve skim read:

apparently you can pay a company to manage the forum for you, e.g. updates, maintenance etc, and it might work out cheaper even with the hosting added on.

1 Like

We’d have to look into how reliable and trustworthy they are too. Lots of companies go under and you’re left needing to move.

I guess we also can’t afford to consider somewhere ethical and sustainable for our hosting. I tried researching this once and my brain hurt.

1 Like

This is a really thoughtful post so wanted to ensure it didn’t get lost in the other thread.

All really key points.

There is a forum style / blog comments post option in Geneva but I haven’t seen any big chats using it which is why I thought it might be worth experimenting with.

Definitely don’t think Geneva is the answer but it a free option and may have a use in reducing costs in much the same way potentially a Twitch DJ stream for Dissonance Radio potentially could or something.

One thing I will add is that I often find a lot of threads on here overwhelming to dip into so am not always the best barometer, hence asking a lot of questions as to what the priorities are and what’s manageable a solution vs cost.

1 Like

Hearing reports that Elon Musk has just bought DiS for 44 billion PROF$

2 Likes

@sean are you okay with a group of us trialing a 3rd party server set up with a discourse install, obviously w/o any DiS branding for now? My personal take is that this is probably the logical first step, given that most people want to stick with the platform.

Moreover, what is everyone’s take on doing this as a proof of concept thing, and then perhaps doing some more robust testing afterwards? If people are in favour, I think step one would be identifying some appropriate hosting, putting some money in a pot, and doing an install of the software.

I’ve had a look at some of the specific requirements for this and it seems as though we need a mail provider set up BEFORE doing an install of the discourse software. I assume this is in order for discourse to send confirmation emails, messages etc to registered users. We could just do a free trial using something like Flexible Pricing & Email Delivery Plans - Email API Service | Mailgun for the test run.

@admins do you know which specific plugins DiS currently uses on this build of the forum? I think this might have an impact on what sort of hosting we choose.

@megalithicrock - I can’t remember the name of the providers you have used before. Maybe that would be a good start if we had a go on that? Digital Ocean are also an option, but I still don’t really understand their pricing model.

We should set up another poll if people are in agreement that this is the first step towards reducing costs long term, and whether they can get involved. For me, the issue of organizing funding, transparency, governance, and safeguarding is a separate, and very much needed, conversation to this, which is purely technical in character. Since we have about 3 months to find a solution, staying with Discourse as a host is already an option, and I suppose it would be up to sean to negotiate a price with them, so I’m not really going to get involved with that.

• yes, I think this is a good first step
  • no, I don’t think this is what we should do at this point but don’t have any suggestions.
  • no, I don’t think this is what we should do at this point and have suggestions.

0 voters

6 Likes

be as blunt as you like with feedback and suggestions btw, I have no fundamental attachment to any ideas in particular and don’t take things personally. just want to find a way we can save the forums

Do You Even Lift Joe Biden GIF by Obama

10 Likes

Plus say that other providers are providing something similar for much less if the taskforce finds that’s the case

1 Like

You are, frankly, doing god’s work here prof imo.

free-trialling, quietly, a prospective new dis hosting setup, is by miles the most likely way to catalyse moving the forum over to somewhere cheaper.

if i can be of any help, at all, i will be - PM me if you just need someone to slog through any documentation or read up on owt specific.

7 Likes

I messed this right up

1 Like

This is what I was gonna suggest doing once we work out where but if it’s quick and not gonna cost you much (lemme know if you need me to PayPal a few quid if it helps)

1 Like

Also, I wonder if Discourse have introduced this as a way to lower number of pageviews? Discourse 3.0 is Here!

The back end is quite confusing, let’s see if this list works:

Installed Plugins

Name Version Enabled?
discourse-adplugin

Ad Plugin for Discourse|1.2.5|Y|Settings|
||discourse-affiliate

Official affiliation plugin for Discourse|0.2|Y|Settings|
||discourse-akismet

supports submitting posts to akismet for review|0.1.0|Y|Settings|
||discourse-apple-auth

Enable login via “Sign-in with Apple”|1.0|N|Settings|
||discourse-assign

Assign users to topics|1.0.1|N|Settings|
||discourse-automation

Lets you automate actions on your Discourse Forum|0.1|N|Settings|
||discourse-cakeday

Show a birthday cake beside the user’s name on their birthday and/or on the date they joined Discourse.|0.3|Y|Settings|
||discourse-calendar

Display a calendar in the first post of a topic|0.3|N|Settings|
||discourse-canned-replies

Add canned replies through the composer|1.2|Y|Settings|
||discourse-chat-integration

This plugin integrates discourse with a number of chat providers|0.1|Y|Settings|
||discourse-checklist

Add checklist support to Discourse|0.4.1|Y|Settings|
||discourse-data-explorer

Interface for running analysis SQL queries on the live database|0.3|Y|Settings|
||discourse-docs

A plugin to make it easy to explore and find knowledge base documents in Discourse|0.1|N|Settings|
||discourse-footnote

Adds markdown.it footnote support to Discourse|0.2|Y|Settings|
||discourse-gamification

Award users with a score for accomplishments|0.0.1|N|Settings|
||discourse-github

Github Linkback, Github Badges, Github Permalinks|0.3|Y|Settings|
||discourse-linkedin-auth

Enable Login via LinkedIn|1.0|N|Settings|
||discourse-login-with-amazon

Enable Login via Login with Amazon|0.0.1|Y|Settings|
||discourse-lti

Add support for login via LTI 1.3|1.0|N|Settings|
||discourse-math

Official mathjax plugin for Discourse|0.9|N|Settings|
||discourse-microsoft-auth

Enable Login via Microsoft Identity Platform|1.0|N|Settings|
||discourse-oauth2-basic

Generic OAuth2 Plugin|0.3|N|Settings|
||discourse-openid-connect

Add support for openid-connect as a login provider|1.0|N|Settings|
||discourse-patreon

Integration features between Patreon and Discourse|2.0|N|Settings|
||discourse-policy

Apply policies to Discourse topics|0.1|Y|Settings|
||discourse-reactions

Allows users to react with emojis to a post|0.2|N|Settings|
||discourse-rss-polling

This plugin enables support for importing embedded content from multiple RSS/ATOM feeds|0.0.1|N|Settings|
||discourse-solved

Add a solved button to answers on Discourse|0.1|Y|Settings|
||discourse-spoiler-alert

Uses the Spoiler Alert plugin to blur text when spoiling it.|1.1.0|Y|Settings|
||discourse-subscriptions

Integrates Stripe into Discourse to allow visitors to subscribe|2.8.1|N|Settings|
||discourse-topic-voting

Adds the ability to vote on features in a specified category.|0.5|N|Settings|
||discourse-user-notes

Gives the ability for staff members to attach notes to users|0.0.2|N|Settings|
||discourse-yearly-review

Creates an automated Year in Review summary topic|0.1|N|Settings|
||discourse-zendesk-plugin

Zendesk for Discourse|1.0.1|N|Settings|
||styleguide

Preview how Widgets are Styled in Discourse|

2 Likes
  • i’m on team prof