How to reduce the DiScourse server costs

don’t really think anything based around cloud computing can be considered environmentally friendly or ethical tbqh

I’m in to help with that

1 Like

Good to know - is that last 30 days or month to date?

Last 30 days. Cropped off the full screen.

1 Like

Literally don’t understand a word of much of this thread, but happy to kick in some cash if needed.

You want the other thread then How to crowd fund the Discourse costs

this is your work now

7 Likes

Hello! Trying to go over this whole thread and would really like to help wherever possible. I am a Web Developer, skills mainly in the front end of things but high level of comfort on these topics.

Going down the self-hosted route, has anyone suggested using a CDN? This would reduce server traffic greatly and (depending on numbers) should reduce costs.

I happen to also work for Fastly, a CDN, so might be able to get some insider advice on how to configure that service to really keep costs down. (Full DiSclosure: I would not stand to benefit financially from encouraging use of the service and Discourse actually recommend Fastly over other CDNs).

2 Likes

CDN definitely something we’ll explore and is something that Discourse currently provide with their hosted solution (that we are using).

2 Likes

As a total non-techie who would very much like this place to survive this thread makes me feel

7 Likes

but also a bit

7 Likes

This is how I feel whenever I take a look in the Gear Wanker thread :slight_smile:

1 Like

Actually surprisingly simple for an AWS product. This weekends job is to see how well it works with a base discourse install.

3 Likes

Good luck!

1 Like

Shine on

Started putting together a document collating the information in this thread and which might form the basis of a plan etc. Its really rough, so add to it, delete it, edit it etc. I just find it useful sometimes if everything is in a single place and you don’t have to read the back and forth between users for a solution. feel free to use it, feel free not to.

12 Likes

Might as well get it out the way

Now we can all move on

4 Likes

me in 3 months time when dis no longer exists

13 Likes

I’m happy to join the test audience in The Secret Board.

Likewise

2 Likes