How to reduce the DiScourse server costs

I need to set a ‘target’ when setting up the pool. if you let me know how much it costs, I can set it and then we can use those funds to pay for it and distribute the credentials etc to people who need it.

If we try and limit the proof of concept to 1 month then the maximum cost should be £15 inc VAT

1 Like

Wait, how much does @discobot cost? And how many page views are they responsible for?

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

I think we can use SendGrid free tier for the smtp stuff

1 Like

i’m part time atm so would be able to help out, have experience of digital ux/content editing/accessibility stuff

2 Likes

Ah just realised the Fasthosts VPS is a 12 month contract - but I’ll give them a call tomorrow and see what the possibility is of spinning something up as a proof of concept. One of the other reasons I’ve stuck with Fasthosts is that they are in the UK and their support is great.

3 Likes

nice one, I’ll hold off setting the paypal thing up until/if they give a quote.

Thanks. That’s really kind of you. I’m sure if you mention the potential long term business they might be happy. They may even offer a discount for “hosted by Fasthosts” in the footer.

Alternatively… Do they have a 30 day trial and cancel if needs be so we could test and run? Or test and move to that server?

1 Like

I’ve cut all sorts of deals with them over the years so optimistic a solution can be found

3 Likes

So tempted to tap :white_check_mark: Solution on @profk’s posts but I’ll wait until we actually get there

1 Like

If I don’t get anywhere with Fasthosts for some reason then I’d probably take a look at this lot, also UK-based and who do offer VPS contracts on a monthly basis

What did you make of Digital Ocean?

A client I worked with used Ionos and they seemed quite pricey for what they were using.

So turns out Fashosts are actually the UK subsidiary of Ionos, I thought the VPS pricing looked very similar!

https://www.ionos.co.uk/newsroom/news/ionos-and-fasthosts-open-21m-state-of-the-art-data-centre-in-worcester/

Digital Ocean droplet is probably fine although would need to look into it a bit more, and they are over the US. No reason we couldn’t try more than one proof of concept and compare them.

1 Like

I would like to help out with this but I’ve got extremely little experience of website stuff. Happy to do testing and what not (if I can contribute to testing while knowing very little lol).

I’m also a project manager - granted my area is developing educational courses and services, rather than digital work. I’ve also got a bunch of strike days coming up (unless the union calls them off) so would probably be able to spend a good amount of time on this in the next couple of months. Basically I’m saying I could lead on pulling the strands of this together but with the caveat you’ll have to explain some digital nonsense to me.

4 Likes

This for me too.

3 Likes

sounds great. we could work together on putting together a plan, get some fuck off spreadsheets drawn up, that kind of thing. if you’d be happy supervising pulling the strings, I’d definitely be happy to contextualize the digital stuff for you.

1 Like

made us a logo so this is a legit operation

25 Likes

I’m a product owner so happy to create lots of additional admin creating tickets, nagging people about “velocity”, and taking credit for other peoples work

9 Likes

product owner
product OWNER

2 Likes